Breadcrumbs

Alon engine baffles/engine sheetmetal

More
28 Feb 2024 17:36 #1 by Warren Hampton
Replied by Warren Hampton on topic Alon engine baffles/engine sheetmetal
Please look at Aircraft Spruce they have a catalog on the net. I just had 2024T3 sent to myself a few weeks age. You can have them send a catalog to you also... Good people to work with. Branches in serval areas.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Feb 2024 16:28 #2 by Keith Whitcomb
Replied by Keith Whitcomb on topic Alon engine baffles/engine sheetmetal
Raymond Phillips said he used 2024 aluminum to make his.   A digital caliper will verify the appropriate metal thickness.   If you don’t have a local sheetmetal supplier, there are places like onlinemetals.com that will mail you what you need.  

I’m looking to replace most of the pieces around my engine as they are 60ish years old and have many cracks and previous repairs.  So buying $$$$ individual bits from Vernon Gregory @ skyport isn’t a great option.

Obviously the ability to buy an entire pre-bent engine baffle kit would be the best option.   Lacking a supplier, the next option is to disassemble, copy/duplicate, bend and reassemble.  A trusted freind who turned his ALON into a grand champion, suggested that I reassemble with screws and nutplates as opposed to rivets.

But then again he polished his engine sheet metal to a mirror finish. I’ haven’t really explored how deep this rabbit hole goes yet.  I think I’ll leave it be until I absolutely have to. 

More
28 Feb 2024 15:52 #3 by Robert James
Replied by Robert James on topic Alon engine baffles/engine sheetmetal
I would be interested in locating a piece on new sheet metal also to fab a few new engine baffle parts. Cheers,

More
13 Feb 2024 07:08 #4 by Randy Phillips
Replied by Randy Phillips on topic Alon engine baffles/engine sheetmetal
I just finished making a couple new baffles for my Alon A2. I used 2024 aluminum. Wasn't too hard, just a lot of fiddling. I got the sheet aluminum from Aircraft Spruce

More
08 Jan 2024 13:55 #5 by Keith Whitcomb
Replied by Keith Whitcomb on topic Alon engine baffles/engine sheetmetal
I spoke with Vernon Gregory. New individual pieces are available. He sells used parts by part number. Unlike the Cessna 152 that has a company that makes an entire engine sheetmetal kit, there aren’t a bunch like ours out there.

More
06 Jan 2024 23:44 - 06 Jan 2024 23:48 #6 by Warren Hampton
Replied by Warren Hampton on topic Alon engine baffles/engine sheetmetal
The C90 and C85 Are very close with only a few small difference's..Call Vern he has my old '67
Last edit: 06 Jan 2024 23:48 by Warren Hampton. Reason: more to say

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds