Breadcrumbs

OPEN CANOPY

More
24 Oct 2024 13:23 #1 by John Jones
Replied by John Jones on topic OPEN CANOPY
The Alon maintenance manual has a section on rigging. There are also the service bulletins from Univar that address rigging as well. Note, some of the service bulletins are also referenced in the current ADs that pertain to the flight controls.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Oct 2024 09:22 #2 by Keith Whitcomb
Replied by Keith Whitcomb on topic OPEN CANOPY
I have a 65 Alon. I have flown with the canopy wide open in the pattern. Let’s just say that 100 mph with the top down ain’t great. When it’s really hot out, the spam cans will parked. I’ll be Flying ! it’s far more comfortable to leave it hanging by the latch buy unlatched.

As far as the rigging. You say you have a 2 axis Alon? That was an option when they were produced. The Alon owners manual is pretty useless. I would like to know where you find technical data on rigging the Alon.

More
24 Oct 2024 08:03 #3 by Super User
Replied by Super User on topic OPEN CANOPY
I have flown many hours with my canopy fully or partially open. Full open (or any setting that doesn't move the canopy back and forth) adds a lot of air flow and quite an amount of joy :-)

The latches that lock the canopy can be used to allow the canopy to be slightly open - just hook them, but don't latch them.

More
24 Oct 2024 08:01 #4 by Super User
Replied by Super User on topic OPEN CANOPY
Posting this for Les Cashmere:

Just purchased with friend Mike a 1965 Alon A2 N5488E. It’s in really great shape with under 3000 hrs tt and just over 200 smoh and great paint. Also has full wheel pants. We have some things to do as is expected with any new purchase including rigging changes as steering wheels about 25 degrees to right when taxing and 20 degrees to left in level flight. We would appreciate any advice from you experienced coupe people on this issue. Also while the plane has all recent glass and the canopy is in great shape wondering with only three attach points and no partial back stops is it really ok to fly with it all the way back up to 100 mph? We need to get use to just flying with steering wheel especially in takeoff and landings! Thanks for any help. Les

More
14 Aug 2024 18:20 - 14 Aug 2024 18:22 #5 by Warren Hampton
Replied by Warren Hampton on topic OPEN CANOPY
Ed, know that the canopies have been known to depart So I did not often fly in the wide open, only back a few inches in flight. 5644F had good air flow that way. If you go back on Topic there has been a lot on this...
Last edit: 14 Aug 2024 18:22 by Warren Hampton. Reason: Add more

More
14 Aug 2024 13:50 - 14 Aug 2024 13:53 #6 by Keith Whitcomb
Replied by Keith Whitcomb on topic OPEN CANOPY
It takes 2 hands to latch my canopy. 65 Alon. When I have a passenger who wants to fly topless I’ll leave it rolled back. After flying for a while with it back at nearly 100 mph I’ll roll it fwd and leave it unlatched.

Completely unlatched it will stay there without issue, but it has a tendency to bind up one of the latches. After landing it takes a minute to un-bugger the latch to roll the canopy back.

If I’m flying solo I’ll just unlatch one side. The other side tends to have a 1 1/2” gap that greatly increases cabin circulation.

I have had one of the latches come undone in solo flight.  I had to abandon the controls to use both hands.  One to push the canopy fwd, the other to secure the latch. 
Last edit: 14 Aug 2024 13:53 by Keith Whitcomb. Reason: Added info

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds