Breadcrumbs

Continental C-85 Carb questions and Loading

• Jenn Kimball
  • Topic Author
06 Jul 2021 14:21 #1 by Jenn Kimball
Replied by Jenn Kimball on topic Continental C-85 Carb questions and Loading
Hi Randy, it has a Facet electric fuel pump. It was added on. Seems to work well (...if not too well). It is nice to have as a backup.

Jenn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2021 13:17 #2 by Randy Branson
Replied by Randy Branson on topic Continental C-85 Carb questions and Loading
Hey Jenn,
I'm interested in the electric fuel pump. Was that an add on of some sort? My only fuel pump ('46 model 415-C) is a mechanical pump. I'd love to have an electric one to use for backup to the mechanical one.

Randy

• Jenn Kimball
  • Topic Author
05 Jul 2021 13:25 #3 by Jenn Kimball
Replied by Jenn Kimball on topic Continental C-85 Carb questions and Loading
I only have wing tanks, they are 9 gal. each and they feed simultaneously (either On or Off on the valve) and there is no header tank. Hmm. Maybe it is related to the electric fuel pump?

Thanks for the quick reply!

More
05 Jul 2021 13:11 #4 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Continental C-85 Carb questions and Loading
I’m not sure why you have an electric pump. Do you not have a center tank? If it’s pumping directly to the carb it’s doing a bit too good of a job?

Can you describe your fuel system?

• Jenn Kimball
  • Topic Author
05 Jul 2021 11:44 - 05 Jul 2021 11:45 #5 by Jenn Kimball
Continental C-85 Carb questions and Loading was created by Jenn Kimball
Hi!
I just got an Ercoupe 415C and I love it, but I have a couple questions. I purchased it in WI where I used to live and they had the mixture wired full rich, but it loads up after about 35 seconds of idling. Is this normal C-85 behavior? I have to run it up to around 2100 to clear it if it loads. The carb is newly rebuilt and installed on annual in May, can't remember the type off the top of my head, can go look. I start it with the electric fuel pump on then turn it off after 20 seconds or so and taxi out, too long of a taxi it loads up again even with the fuel pump off. (I do take off and land with the elec. pump on but I taxi with it off.)

I live out in the Appalachians now in southern WV, at around 2800' elevation... do you think it's wise to have an A&P wire the mixture to work so I can lean it on taxi, and/or..... is there something else fishy going on with my carb?

It runs real nice other than the loading issue at idle. Also it has no mufflers just straight to exhaust.

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks
Jenn
Last edit: 05 Jul 2021 11:45 by Jenn Kimball. Reason: clearer title

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds