Breadcrumbs

cost of annual with owner assist

More
27 Jun 2023 01:05 - 27 Jun 2023 01:29 #1 by RP J
Replied by RP J on topic cost of annual with owner assist
I just completed my annual as an owner assist*. The initial quote was $500, plus any parts and extra labor($98/hr) needed. What I paid in the end seems about average to a bit above average from what I have read. I am also in California where everything is more expensive. 

Below you will find exactly what I paid as it was itemized on the bill. If nothing was needed it would have been about $800. The only surprising thing to me was that the AD's were not included in the base annual cost. This is my first annual so maybe this is normal?

Scroll to the bottom for the grand total. 

$500 - annual inspection
$49 - Comply with AD 2002-16-04
$98 - Comply with AD 2002-26-02
$49 - Comply with AD 2003-21-01
$98 - Comply with AD 2012-08-06
Sub-TOTAL: $794

Extra labor needed at $98/hr:
$49 - sand and spray paint repair under wing
$49 - replace forward tank float (I asked for this)
$196 - replace all landing gear pads (they were crushed)
$98 - replace landing gear piston seals (this should have been included in the pad labor above)
$49 - install lock nut on rear rudder tube (was missing for a while)
$196 - replace oil temp gauge (original was not working)
$196 - replace engine mounts (they were rotted)
$49 - rigged carb heat system (there was an air leak)

TOTAL Labor: $1725

Parts:
MLG pads $120
Piston seals $50
Oil Temp Gauge $300
Misc $50

TOTAL Parts(purchased by me without shop mark-up): $520

GRAND TOTAL: $2245

*owner assist - I removed and reinstalled all the inspection plates, fairings, interior, and cowls. I changed the oil and filters. I replaced the top plugs and also replacing the baffle seals. 
Last edit: 27 Jun 2023 01:29 by RP J. Reason: grammar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2021 05:20 #2 by Michael Hainen
Replied by Michael Hainen on topic cost of annual with owner assist
Just for fun here is a YOUTUBE segment from the BLANCOLIRO theread.
This is the kind of airport and old school AP/IA we all dream of finding. Mountains of knowledge and practicality.

Enjoy and happy hunting for your dream coupe and mechanic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeffery Francom

• Jeffery Francom
  • Topic Author
12 Aug 2021 09:15 #3 by Jeffery Francom
Replied by Jeffery Francom on topic cost of annual with owner assist
Yeah, I need to find an old-school AP/IA to work with! If I could resolve that issue, a 'Coupe may make more sense than the Sonex.

Great point on the log books. Something to keep an eye on when looking at planes. I hadn't thought about the AD compliance notes not being specific about which portions were completed each time!

That is great to hear on the Luscombe's. Currently that is out of my price range, but I hope they do well. They always were a really cool plane. There was one at my local airport when I was growing up (KCVH - Hollister CA). It was one of my favorite planes at the airport at the time. (Yeah, I was that kid that would go and just watch the planes come and go.) So that is good news.

I'm going to ask around my area (South East Idaho) and see if I can find a good AP/IA. My local airport (KMLD) has nothing except fuel, but I'll check with the other airports that are around me.

Thanks!
Jeffery

More
11 Aug 2021 16:48 - 11 Aug 2021 17:10 #4 by Michael Hainen
Replied by Michael Hainen on topic cost of annual with owner assist
The old school knowledgeable 1930-1970 era aircraft AP/IA's are a dying breed. The attitude and entitlement of the under 40 AP/IA's is chilling. I understand the rents, liability, insurance, cost of materials is way up but their familiarity with old airplanes is not immense. They frame their pricing based on modern aircraft Cirrus, Epic,newer Cessna, Piper, etc. Thank goodness I found one of the first kind. Did the annual in one day 0730 to 1600 with lunch break. $350. I did all the grunt and dirty work and learned a ton from this kind knowledgeable man. Truthfully I'd have been pleased at twice the cost  Having a good record of AD/s complied with helps greatly.  In my case I had good log books from new with all AD's completed highlighted, and also applied to the FAA for the aircraft records of STC's and 337's availble on CD, took about 2 months to arrive.  
It is my experience a annual for an older 1960-70 vintageCessna 152-172 or Piper warrior product averaged about $800-$1200.
A side note, we all love Ercoupes and the safety features and some of us fly them to use the LSA/drivers license option.  The cost is moderate compared to modern aircraft.  If you 
are flying because of the LSA option,  a ray of sunshine did shine at EAA AIRVENTURE.
The new reborn Luscombe Factory is about to commence production and they displayed 
3 aircraft.  One of those was a shiny new LSA version with a certified engine for a show special price of $99,500. far cheaper than any other LSA offering that I saw or know of..
You just have to be good on the tailwheel.   A new aircraft with a simple, ie. cheaper to maintain airframe.  Now where did I leave that $100K?
Last edit: 11 Aug 2021 17:10 by Michael Hainen. Reason: addition

More
11 Aug 2021 13:09 #5 by Matt Gunsch
Replied by Matt Gunsch on topic cost of annual with owner assist
I know some pilots that if you see them with a screwdriver, you speak to them in soft tones until you can get it away from him.

One thing that really takes time on a annual is the ADs, because most mechanics logbook entries SUCK. Most of the time you get CW, or complied with, well that works sometimes, but what about the AD that has multiable compliance times ? when is (g)(1) due ? or (g)(3) ? can't tell if all they put is complied with.

A&P, IA, PPSEL
too many years GA and Warbird Maint
Check out the Ercoupe Discussion group on facebook

• Jeffery Francom
  • Topic Author
11 Aug 2021 11:03 #6 by Jeffery Francom
Replied by Jeffery Francom on topic cost of annual with owner assist
Matt,

> it depends on how much you can assist.

Yeah, I had one mechanic suggest that he charged MORE if the owner tried to assist!

8-) I could see that in some cases.

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds