Breadcrumbs

Fuselage tank slushing (spelling?)

More
05 Oct 2021 18:08 #1 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Fuselage tank slushing (spelling?)
I’m not sure how to test for sloshing compound. That tank is a bear to R&R! My only recommendation is to make sure you install a perfect one if you ever need to swap one out! I’ve replaced two in mine and I almost lost an A&P both times! From quitting.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Fernando Serra
  • Topic Author
05 Oct 2021 16:45 #2 by Fernando Serra
Replied by Fernando Serra on topic Fuselage tank slushing (spelling?)
Larry,

Thanks for your feedback. Just to clarify Safe Skies did not rebuild my fuselage tank. They did the wing tanks and they are perfect, no sloshing. I am just not sure if the fuselage tank was sloshed, It is not leaking, does seem like it was never touched since original. How do you tell? since it was empty for a few years, could the brown tint in the fuel be from rust? that is where I am lost.

More
05 Oct 2021 10:14 #3 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Fuselage tank slushing (spelling?)
Sloshing compound in a fuel tank will pretty much guarantee that your airplane will someday become a rather poor glider. If Safe Skies rebuilt your tank I cannot believe it has sloshing compound in it. But if there is, make sure you get it properly rebuilt.

• Fernando Serra
  • Topic Author
04 Oct 2021 19:01 #4 by Fernando Serra
Replied by Fernando Serra on topic Fuselage tank slushing (spelling?)
Correction. Safe Skies Aviation.

• Fernando Serra
  • Topic Author
04 Oct 2021 19:00 #5 by Fernando Serra
Fuselage tank slushing (spelling?) was created by Fernando Serra
I acquired a 1946 415C a few months ago and have been working on getting it back to flying conditions. One of the major problems was leaking wing fuel tanks. Thanks to the group got a great referral and had the tanks rebuilt. Safe Skied did an excellent job if you ever need your repair. As I am getting closer my A&P and I put fuel on the fuselage tank to test the fuel system after rebuilding carburator, replace and clean filter, screens and hoses. We put about 3 gal of 100LL on the fuselage tank and check for leaks, all good. After a couple of weeks we noticed the fuel on the glass gasolator had a brown tint to it not blue as earlier. We think the fuselage tank might have been slushed (not sure spelling) at some point. When I first got the airplane there was no gas on the fuselage tank and the fuel left on the gasolator was blue. At this point the fuel tank and the fuel system still show no leaks for now over a month. My questions and concerns, will this color indicates the slushing is braking down, if there was any done at all. Will this damage the fuel system, engine, cause engine to stop. Any guidance or suggestions will be appreciate it. I would hate to remove the tank because the instrument panel was updated and it will be a major job to be removed. If it has be done then be it.

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds