Breadcrumbs

I flew my plane for the first time the other day

• Coby Cannon
  • Topic Author
29 Mar 2022 23:02 #1 by Coby Cannon
Replied by Coby Cannon on topic I flew my plane for the first time the other day
I did another preflight control check and the elevator input was binding when I pulled back while on the Captain side. From any other position the controls moved smoothly with no binding. Turns out, the lack of elevator response was due to the shock absorbers supporting the instrument panels inner and outer hull were either broken or missing altogether. My new mechanic spotted it right off the bat and replaced the offending parts. This simple fix overlooked by the mechanic who did my aircraft transfer inspection almost did me in. Being a Marine Corps Aircraft Mechanic I am fuming that this idiot did not do his job. In conclusion, when you do your flight control checks make sure and pull each yoke from both the left and right side of each column. Put pressure on the inside and outside of the yoke and assure consistency throughout the control check as you pull the yoke back.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2022 19:22 #2 by John Farrell
Replied by John Farrell on topic I flew my plane for the first time the other day
I find a stabilized approach on final at 80 indicated 1500-1700 RPM, trimmed properly and when in ground effect hold nose up, very slowly reduce power until she stops flying. She sinks fast if throttle is pulled too soon in the flair. After mains touch remember relax on yoke to let her nose drop! I am still learning that especially in cross winds!
PPP; practice practice practice. Former 25 year Bonanza owner still learning the Coupe's finer points! She's a hell of a lot of fun to fly, especially in warm weather with her windows down!

More
28 Mar 2022 13:46 #3 by Ronald Raty
Replied by Ronald Raty on topic I flew my plane for the first time the other day
The Ercoupe is light little airplane, compared to 737. It is pretty responsive to small gusts, ground friction, thermals, etc, unlike the big boys, which just blast through that stuff, My airport often has a downdraft just off the end of the runway on sunny days because of the heat from a big parking lot. Everyone is used to it and nobody bothers to report it. You may just need to get used to a light weight plane. Take it out again on a nice calm day, early morning before the sun starts the thermals. Otherwise, double check the rigging to make sure the elevator and trim are working properly and in spec, Plus re-read the manual (landing a coupe can be a little different than other airplanes).. I got my coupe from my Uncle, and he told me "don't try to land it like other airplanes, just set the trim for LANDING, stabilize the descent, then fly it onto the runway". My landings are often so smooth I can't tell when the wheels actually touch the ground. I can't do that in any other airplane.

More
28 Mar 2022 04:27 #4 by Allen Staff
Replied by Allen Staff on topic I flew my plane for the first time the other day
What was the OAT ? Can’t you fly with minimum fuel and a light instructor?

• Coby Cannon
  • Topic Author
26 Mar 2022 14:54 #5 by Coby Cannon
Guys,  I flew my Ercoupe the other day.  Last time I flew was a few years ago and it was a 737.  This may have been the cause of my issue.  I rotated late at 65 mph to provide some cushion.  Bounced it twice.  Never done that before.  After I was airborne the pattern was uneventful until I was on short final.  I was maintaining 80 base and final with a sink rate of 500.  Wind was 5 kts. On short final the nose dipped hard and I had to use all my strength to pull the nose up.  I made 5 touch and goes with one go around in the mix. I’m curious as to why the sudden loss with no reported wind shear from other aircraft in the pattern. I bounced every time and ballooned a few times.  Was it my lack of time in the plane or does the Ercoupe have an issue at that speed?  Novice question, I know.  I have over 18,000 hrs of Flt time and felt confident I would be able to feel the airplane out but obviously I was wrong.  Plane has a Venturi that seemed responsive and accurate.  Any advice guys?  I can’t fly with an instructor as the max gross is 1320.  Can I bump that up to 1450 Uber standard category?

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds