Breadcrumbs

Oil Temp in winter?

More
28 Oct 2022 14:02 #1 by Ken Thompson
Replied by Ken Thompson on topic Oil Temp in winter?
I bought a cover plate kit from Vern a couple of years ago. I rarely need it in SE Texas but it sure helped when I flew through North Texas and into Oklahoma in February a couple of years ago.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lynn Kramer
  • Topic Author
27 Oct 2022 21:41 #2 by Lynn Kramer
Replied by Lynn Kramer on topic Oil Temp in winter?
I can see how you did that very well in that picture. Thanks. I take it that blocking the airflow entirely is the way to go? The example I say had three holes to allow a percentage of the airflow to continue, but also was told that as the weather got colder those holes could be taped over as needed. So this really helped. Thanks again.

More
27 Oct 2022 21:21 #3 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Oil Temp in winter?
Terrible picture but you can see the plate covering the opening below the prop. There’s a bar that goes inside the opening and the plate is held on by a single screw. The plate looks white in the photo but it’s actually black, it’s the light. 
Attachments:

• Lynn Kramer
  • Topic Author
27 Oct 2022 20:48 #4 by Lynn Kramer
Replied by Lynn Kramer on topic Oil Temp in winter?
I was shown by my CFI (on his 415C) that he had an aluminum plate with 3 one inch holes screwed over the cowling hole directly beneath the prop spinner. He suggested that I tape a cardboard or plastic cover to block airflow to the oil cooler as an experiment. I am afraid to do that without an IA to okay that. Have you heard of this solution?

More
27 Oct 2022 17:50 #5 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Oil Temp in winter?
I have a cover plate that obstructs the air flow to the oil tank. Raises the temp 5-10 degrees. Skyport used to sell them but haven’t in a long time. They sent me the drawings and my A&P made mine. Vernon Gregory probably has the drawings.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lynn Kramer

• Lynn Kramer
  • Topic Author
27 Oct 2022 17:44 #6 by Lynn Kramer
Oil Temp in winter? was created by Lynn Kramer
As the weather temps have dropped, so has my oil temp. I can't get the temp up to the normal range of 160+. I have a C85 Stroker power plant.

Would it be advisable to cover all or a portion of the airflow into the oil cooler unit?

Overnight temps are barely in the 32-25F range. What happens when it gets really cold?

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds