Breadcrumbs

Alpha STC electric pump vs replace mechanical pump

More
29 Apr 2023 17:57 #1 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Alpha STC electric pump vs replace mechanical pump
The joys of owning a certificated aircraft! The mechanical pump is legal, and an STC makes the electric pump legal, but both together are not, unless you can get a field approval, and good luck with that!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2023 17:19 #2 by Bruce Bennett
Replied by Bruce Bennett on topic Alpha STC electric pump vs replace mechanical pump
FWIW, When I bought my 415C back in 2006, it came with both a mechanical fuel
pump and a switch operated electric fuel pump. My A&P said the electric pump
was probably addled by a previous owner as a back-up He said it was a great idea but not legal. He had to remove it.

More
25 Apr 2023 10:44 #3 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Alpha STC electric pump vs replace mechanical pump
Good to hear!

More
25 Apr 2023 10:19 #4 by John Jones
I haven't looked at the pump STC directly but if it's like the setup for the O200 conversion the pump seems like it has a long life. I have the O200 with 1700 hrs. on it and the logs don't reveal any pump replacement in that time. I know there hasn't been one in the last 500 hours.

More
25 Apr 2023 06:35 #5 by Larry Snyder
I still have the mechanical pump, but if/when the time comes I'll go with the electric one. One thing about the electric pump is that in most aircraft the electric fuel pump is only used during critical phases of flight, while on the coupe it operates continuously. I wonder how that will affect the longevity of the part? But I like the annunciator light on the panel that indicates empty wing tanks. Maybe someone reading this thread will know more about the pump being used and its robustness.

• Donato Martino, CFI-S
  • Topic Author
More
25 Apr 2023 06:28 #6 by Donato Martino, CFI-S
Alpha STC electric pump vs replace mechanical pump was created by Donato Martino, CFI-S
It's time to replace the fuel transfer pump on our 415C.  Alpha STC $600 plus installation cost.  Replace mechanical transfer pump $1000.00 plus installation cost.  For those of you that replaced their mechanical pumps or installed Alpha STC please share your expierences adn thoughts.

Thank you

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds