Breadcrumbs

Nose gear inner cylinder removal from fork

More
31 Dec 2023 14:02 - 31 Dec 2023 14:05 #1 by Warren Hampton
Replied by Warren Hampton on topic Nose gear inner cylinder removal from fork
Really never tried that.. The Alum heats and cools faster than the Steel. That is why I say you have to be quick. Try it. Heat the fork cool the cyl. The worst that can happen is you need to take it apart again....
Last edit: 31 Dec 2023 14:05 by Warren Hampton. Reason: more to say

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Dec 2023 08:18 #2 by Robert Regester
Replied by Robert Regester on topic Nose gear inner cylinder removal from fork
Great, thanks. I have a brass hammer. What do you think of using dry ice in the bottom of the tube to cool it.

More
30 Dec 2023 23:48 #3 by Warren Hampton
Replied by Warren Hampton on topic Nose gear inner cylinder removal from fork
Removing is not hard if you are quick. The replacing is tricky. To remove heat the front of neck when you have removed the nut. The alum will heat quicker than the steel. I use a brass hammer to hit the fork getting it off. I use a vise to hold cylinder and start tap the fork as I heat the neck of the fork. Tricky part is getting the stud and the hole in the fork lined up, while sliding it back together. Heat all around the neck really warm. Slide it on very quickly! If you have a freezer to put the cyl. in do so before trying..

More
29 Dec 2023 14:41 #4 by Keith Whitcomb
Replied by Keith Whitcomb on topic Nose gear inner cylinder removal from fork
Call Vernon Gregory (803) 360-2061. He sells ercoupe/aircoupe parts. I have an Alon A2 and he walked me through the complete nose gear rebuild.

More
29 Dec 2023 10:13 #5 by Robert Regester
Nose gear inner cylinder removal from fork was created by Robert Regester
Looking for either someone that can remove the inner cylinder from the fork and install a new one or how to do it myself.  If I can heat the fork (300 for 20 minutes I have heard) and cool the inner cyl (dry ice inside?) and press it out need suggestion exactly how to press it out.

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds