Breadcrumbs

Sliding window not sliding

More
09 Jan 2024 20:23 #1 by Brooks McNew
Replied by Brooks McNew on topic Sliding window not sliding
Larry,

My window welts (the fabric channel the the windows slide in) were worn out and the windows didn't move well at all.

Shopping List:
2 new window welts from Vernon Gregory
1 can of 3M Adhesive Remover No. 38987 (Amazon or Auto Store)
1 can of 3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive (Amazon or Auto Store)
3-4 dozen pieces cardboard cut about 8" x 2"
2-4 Small stainless steel brushes like these

If possible, remove the seat back and frame. Unlacing the seat back isn't bad - just loosen the laces and you won't have to completely re-weave it later. Then a bunch of tiny screws remove the inner fuselage skins that cover the windows.

The old welts will pull right out of the channels. Then put on some music and take your time cleaning out the old dried up adhesive. It's not difficult if you don't rush it. Working on a foot-long section at a time, quirt in a little adhesive remover, brush until he solvent dries, and then repeat until it's all gone. The old adhesive will come out like sawdust. 

Cover your windows, instruments, etc with newspaper to protect from overspray. Spray new adhesive into the cleaned channel (all the way from one wingroot to the other) and fold in the new welt. Then wedge cardboard into the welt (where the window would be) to get a tight fit while the adhesive dries. 

This is probably a 6-7 hour job and my windows slide perfectly now that it's done.

There's a LOT more info and photos too on this page www.ercoupe.info/pmwiki.php/Main/SlidingWindows  

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jan 2024 22:48 - 03 Jan 2024 22:50 #2 by Warren Hampton
Replied by Warren Hampton on topic Sliding window not sliding
Some times the siding causes the material to ball up. The balling keeps the window from being free to sliding. Then it is time to replace both sides.
Last edit: 03 Jan 2024 22:50 by Warren Hampton. Reason: extra letter in a word

More
03 Jan 2024 14:57 #3 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Sliding window not sliding
When the mechanic gets it figured out I’ll reply with what he found.
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Farrell

More
03 Jan 2024 14:36 #4 by John Farrell
Replied by John Farrell on topic Sliding window not sliding
Similar problem: my right side window sticks about a third way up. Can't move it either up or down while sitting in pilot's seat. Can get it to move if standing on right wing and pullng hard with both hands! ???

More
02 Jan 2024 19:45 #5 by Larry Snyder
Sliding window not sliding was created by Larry Snyder
For the 19 years I’ve been flying my 415C, I’ve never had trouble sliding the side windows. About three flights ago it became more difficult than usual, and it got worse each flight after that until after this last flight I could no longer close it. I’m not familiar with how these things work. My mechanic is going to check it. I was wondering if there is a common thing that makes this happen? It just came in out of the blue. 

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds