Breadcrumbs

Ercoupe 415-E 1948 anti-collision lights

More
14 Jul 2024 17:32 #1 by Patric Wilson
Replied by Patric Wilson on topic Ercoupe 415-E 1948 anti-collision lights
I got lucky with really good timing because the sheet metal shop I am working with to get a beacon installed currently has another Ercoupe in their hangar with a belly beacon. The mechanic likes its placement behind the spar on the belly, and of course it is legal via 337 and field approval. He will use that as a template to install mine. I chose the aeroLED sunbeacon II which is a reliable bright anti-collision light. I’ll keep you all posted after installation. Thanks for all the replies! This is a wonderful community with loads of ercoupe knowledge.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2024 22:55 #2 by Edward Moore
Replied by Edward Moore on topic Ercoupe 415-E 1948 anti-collision lights
Patric:
Go to the Whelen page/catalog, haven't needed to be there lately, IIRC, somewhere in there they give approval information with their approval to use. Anytime approaching FAA, first words should be "In interest of safety,
" Your case, prime example.
With the mentioned PMA, etc, I would consider it a minor alteration.
Before FAA, t'was the CAA. FWIW

More
12 Jul 2024 13:10 #3 by John Jones
Replied by John Jones on topic Ercoupe 415-E 1948 anti-collision lights
Patric-I'll concede FAR91.209 to FAR91.205 since 205 comes first.

On your questions re. paperwork Aircraft Spruce had this to say about the Whelen Orion:
Q: Does the installation of the Orion 360 on a certified AC require a form 337, or does the FAA TSO allow it to be considered a minor alteration? PA28 161 181 etc. What does FAA TSO imply? 337 or simple logbook entry? I see no STC Documents for these lights.
The TSO should make it just a logbook entry/minor alteration.

John

More
11 Jul 2024 13:52 #4 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Ercoupe 415-E 1948 anti-collision lights
My good old Grimes rotating beacon gave up the ghost many years ago. Replaced it with a blinking light, the Grimes got really loud before it dIed . Back then a PMA’d halogen (I think) beacon was pretty cheap. I believe we filled out a 337, but didn’t get approval. When the Ercoupes were new, they didn’t sell with lights, so lights are not on the MEL.

More
11 Jul 2024 13:37 #5 by Patric Wilson
I see Univair sells a whelen fuselage strobe, and I am considering that for the belly beacon. What is the grimes beacon you used?

More
11 Jul 2024 13:36 #6 by Patric Wilson
For anyone who has gotten the belly beacon installed, would you be willing to share the 337 field approval with me to show to inspector to show it has been approved before?

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds