Breadcrumbs

nosewheel strut fluid level

More
17 May 2022 21:42 #1 by Kevin Gassert
Replied by Kevin Gassert on topic nosewheel strut fluid level
Refer to my last reply.

Kevin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lynn Kramer
17 May 2022 21:15 #2 by Lynn Kramer
Replied by Lynn Kramer on topic nosewheel strut fluid level
Exactly as I was told. The point of the exercise is so that the plane stays planted on the runway at that angle of attack, producing no lift until the yolk is pulled rearward.

IOW the plane doesn't begin to fly until you tell it to. I am not too sure how much of a problem being 2" low at the tail would be.

More
17 May 2022 20:33 #3 by Kevin Gassert
To repeat, the object is to have a level window sill. If the window sill is level the wings will be at the correct angle of attack regardless of the tail height.

Kevin

More
17 May 2022 12:41 #4 by Randy Branson
Replied by Randy Branson on topic nosewheel strut fluid level
My tail height is about 73". I want it higher but not sure how to do that. I have the standard 4" nosewheel and just put in new donuts. I've heard of "wedges" or "spacers" but don't know where to get them or how they are installed.

More
04 Apr 2022 10:53 #5 by Kevin Gassert
75 inches is the book number and a good minimum. An original book Ercoupe would have a single nose strut and four inch tire. Now with different combinations of nose struts and tires and main gear tires and then throw in main gear spacers and two different taxi springs the tail might be taller. The best constant is to have the window still level. If the tail is taller than 75 that is Ok. Better taller than lower.

More
04 Apr 2022 00:04 #6 by Ronald Raty
Replied by Ronald Raty on topic nosewheel strut fluid level
Put the plane on flat ground and measure to the TOP of the vertical stabilizer. Should be around 75".

Leveling the sill is important for weighing the plane and calculating the resulting CG location.

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds