Breadcrumbs

Oil filter add on

More
01 Apr 2021 09:36 #7 by Matt Gunsch
Replied by Matt Gunsch on topic Oil filter add on
Mine loses it's prime after 2 weeks, it is not hard to re-prime, I remove the oil filter and using a oiler filled with a mix of engine oil and STP, I put the end of the oiler into the small hole on the oil filter adaptor and pump oil into it, reinstall the oil filter and start the engine. Instant oil pressure.

A&P, IA, PPSEL
too many years GA and Warbird Maint
Check out the Ercoupe Discussion group on facebook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2021 23:27 #8 by Ronald Raty
Replied by Ronald Raty on topic Oil filter add on
My 415C C85 loses it's prime if it sits for too long, about 4 weeks. It is a function of wear of the oil pump. I can't imagine how the oil filter would cause the priming oil to drain out of the oil pump. Before buying, maybe you should ask how long it took the de-priming to happen, and compare that to how often you plan to fly.

More
29 Mar 2021 13:29 #9 by Randy Branson
Replied by Randy Branson on topic Oil filter add on
I'm buying a a '46 D-model this week. It had a oil filter that the current owner removed and went back to just the screen. He said the issue was his filter kept "De-priming" and had to be primed before he could fly. I've only owned engines with spin on filters. I think I would like to go back to a spin-on because I have no experience changing oil with oil screens versus oil filters

What is the option for a kit that I can put back on the engine that will stay primed?

More
06 Nov 2020 16:20 #10 by Matt Gunsch
Replied by Matt Gunsch on topic Oil filter add on
Any of the filters that mount to the left rear side plate will fit the coupe, unless you have the oil cooler installed.

A&P, IA, PPSEL
too many years GA and Warbird Maint
Check out the Ercoupe Discussion group on facebook

• Morris Pearson
  • Topic Author
05 Nov 2020 10:54 #11 by Morris Pearson
Replied by Morris Pearson on topic Oil filter add on
Thanks, I understand the engine only STC. My concern is one of fitting and any possible interference issues with the Ercoupe installation.

More
05 Nov 2020 00:42 - 05 Nov 2020 00:45 #12 by Edward Moore
Replied by Edward Moore on topic Oil filter add on
Check out the Tempest - I think its in the Spruce catalog/ They bought one that's been around for years and is in their product line complete with STC. Easy installation as long. as you don't have something in that location - left rear engine replaces the oil bypass plate. Excellent company. I installed the old original that I had had "in stock" for years. Remove the OEM screen and much easier to safety wire the new filter. Requires use of their filter - has to do with the internal filter bypass requirement. I have an 0-200 but configuration is same.
Last edit: 05 Nov 2020 00:45 by Edward Moore. Reason: add info

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds