Breadcrumbs

Oil streaks after one hour flight.

More
14 Apr 2021 14:18 #7 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Oil streaks after one hour flight.
Get the aviation formula of Simple Green. A galllon of the concentrate will last forever. Mix it with water in a pump sprayer and you can just shoot it and wipe it off with paper towels. Works great. Use a small spray bottle when traveling. It doesn’t take much at all to clean up the oil.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2021 14:06 #8 by Randy Branson
Replied by Randy Branson on topic Oil streaks after one hour flight.
I'm glad to hear that others have the same issues/concern as I do.  Well, not glad to hear it, but glad it's not something I need to stress over.  I',m using/losing about 1/2 quart after 5.5 hours.  It's a pain to clean it up (streaking along the lower cowling and trailing onto the left wing root).  It drives me crazy!  I clean it off after every flight.

What are y'all using to clean it off your birds?  I tried some avgas and it worked good...took the wax with it.  An A&P mentioned using K-1 kerosene (for the oil AND to clean the plexiglass).  I tried it, and it took it off, but I'm not a fan of using it...and it's EXPENSIVE from the local hardware store.

More
14 Mar 2021 23:01 #9 by Matt Gunsch
Replied by Matt Gunsch on topic Oil streaks after one hour flight.
Continentals are like harleys and radials, they mark their territory. A little oil can make a large mess, and if it gets between sheets, it takes a while to get it all out. I have the real gaskets push rod tubes on mine and it makes a difference on the leaks.

A&P, IA, PPSEL
too many years GA and Warbird Maint
Check out the Ercoupe Discussion group on facebook

More
14 Mar 2021 18:59 #10 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Oil streaks after one hour flight.
Mine has been doing that for 1600 hours since I had it overhauled in 2006. Other than the annoyance of having to clean it up, it’s no big deal. Some folks work relentlessly on their engines u til all leaks are gone. Me, I fly. I use a quart every 12 hours or so.

More
14 Mar 2021 18:37 #11 by John Farrell
Oil streaks after one hour flight. was created by John Farrell
My C85 engine which has about 2225 Since O/H and about 1274 since bottom O/H.  All cylinders have been replaced or O/H between 1995-2011-2013.  Running very strong (comparing to my several Bonanzas) for an 85 HP engine!  Using very little oil, maybe a pint or two after five or so hours, less than a quart.    My concern, after an hour flight or so, I have oil streaks showing up on lower engine cowl on both sides, not a lot, just enough for me to clean it up after each flight to look nice!   After each flight, I open the engine cowl and look to see where the oil might be coming from.  Can't notice any significant signs where it might be coming from.  Last oil change we added a can of Avblend.  After five hours oil still looks fairly clean.  Having owned five Bonanzas and one Debonair over 25 years, I believe the C85 engine was over built in "those days" similar to the E-185/225 engine in the early Bonanzas and if cared for properly will run well past the "recommended" TBO.  Comments, suggestions, etc would be appreciated.   
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds