Breadcrumbs

insurance training requirement

More
19 Sep 2024 03:45 - 19 Sep 2024 03:57 #1 by James Davis
Replied by James Davis on topic insurance training requirement
When I purchased my Coupe the insurance company I previously used (BWI) asked me to obtain 5 hrs with a CFI, but then I called the AVEMCO and they told as long as I have a PPL they do not require that 5 hr thing and they insured me on the spot.
Yes, they were a little more expensive but WTH, I was desperate due to weight limitation I couldn't find a CFI that weighs less than 110 lbs ...
I am 245 lbs in the shower -- so with my clothes and shoes I am easily @ 255... Plus let's say 60 lbs fuel like you mentioned... Then the plane is at 920# which leaves me with a generous(!) 400 lbs useful load per LSA weight limits.
Myself @255 + Fuel @ 60 + plane @920 = 1235 + flight bag @5 lbs = 1240 lbs which means I need to find a CFI or buyer or a passenger who weighs 80 lbs or less...

So, yeah we all suffer from those same issues!

I do not recommend but you can always go rogue and fly your prospective buyer as long as his/her weight does not take your weight limit extremely over 1320... As far as I know taking your plane from a 1320lbs LSA classification to 1400 lbs category only involves paperwork. You may just go for a flight in the pattern so the buyer can see plane takes off, flies, turns and lands. What else he/she can ask for?

If you can't take your buyer for a test flight and if he can't go alone then you can offer him to get a trustworthy CFI to go up alone and have a test flight for him. If his CFI gives him a thumbs up after the test fly he can purchase it and then finding a very skinny and petite CFI is his/her business...

Few weeks ago, I came across a young female CFI which she was 110 lbs... So yeah, they are few but still available... Good luck!
Last edit: 19 Sep 2024 03:57 by James Davis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Sep 2024 08:11 #2 by Raymond Knox
Replied by Raymond Knox on topic insurance training requirement
I would not let anyone test fly my plane by themselves. Unless they were on the insurance. So me or someone else on the insurance would have to be with them. By this winter there will be a new 105-110 PPL; ck’d out in my Coupe. I live in the middle of TN on the Ky boarder. She will be added to my insurance. So help may be on its way in this region. As she works towards her other certs, she will be flying XC with my on the side. For time building.

More
11 Sep 2024 07:28 #3 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic insurance training requirement
Maybe you can find a pilot with the insurance requirements who can take your prospective buyers up as PIC? It’s getting harder to find 150 pound guys any more, I know! But they do exist.

• Nathan Bissonette
  • Topic Author
More
11 Sep 2024 06:59 #4 by Nathan Bissonette
Replied by Nathan Bissonette on topic insurance training requirement
Thanks for your thoughts, Warren and Larry.  How about other members?  What's your opinion? 

Should I tell prospective buyers "You can't test-fly the airplane until you get five hours of training?"

Should I let them test-fly it in violation of the insurance policy requirements, hoping nothing bad happens?  

Should I drop the insurance, save the premium and take my chances?

I appreciate your insights.  This club is a wonderful resource.  Thanks!

More
07 Sep 2024 16:42 - 07 Sep 2024 17:01 #5 by Warren Hampton
Replied by Warren Hampton on topic insurance training requirement
Amen to that LARRY. HAVE A FRIEND WHO THINKS HE CAN JUST HOP IN AND FLY AROUND. I THINK BECAUSE SO MUCH HAS BEEN SAID ABOUT HOW EASY COUPES ARE TO FLY...
Last edit: 07 Sep 2024 17:01 by Warren Hampton. Reason: Spacing

More
07 Sep 2024 04:18 #6 by Raymond Knox
Replied by Raymond Knox on topic insurance training requirement
Friend of mine is 105lbs and interested in becoming a CFI in Ercoupe's. I said you are exactly what is needed.

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds