Breadcrumbs

Fuel shut off valve

More
02 Dec 2016 18:11 #1 by Gary Hays
Replied by Gary Hays on topic Fuel shut off valve
skyport

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Nov 2016 08:08 #2 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Fuel shut off valve
Just to let everyone know, Vernon Gregory has purchased Skyport's remaining inventory, and Skyport is no more. So now if you want one of the former Skyport's STC'd items you will call Alpha Aviation in Minnesota and if you want a part call Vernon Gregory in South Carolina.

• Chris Carlisle
  • Topic Author
16 Oct 2016 09:41 #3 by Chris Carlisle
Replied by Chris Carlisle on topic Fuel shut off valve
Yes.......Even being a newbie, I can tell from the newsletter and other posts that the Skyport thing is a bit of a sore subject. There's nothing like owning a business or providing a public service to reveal how often the public is not so deserving of such services. I work in an emergency room and not only do people want a quick and easy solution to all of their mostly self-induced medical problems, they want it cheap and they want it now. As far as Skyport goes, kudos to the people who've tried and shame on the folks who are looking for a free ride at someone else's expense.

Chris

More
16 Oct 2016 08:08 #4 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Fuel shut off valve
Anyone who has ever run a business has dealt with customers who have no idea the effort and costs that go into it. It has to be a real passion to put out that kind of effort. What makes it worthwhile is profit or satisfaction or some mix of both. Selfish, thoughtless customers can destroy the satisfaction real quick, and profit is always elusive. If you like a business and want to assure its future, be sure to buy as much stuff as possible from them and express your appreciation. Skyport got used a lot for free technical advice. One reason the EOC passed on the business was our inability to provide the kind of passion that comes from being totally invested in the business. Looks to me like someday soon we'll be talking wistfully about the good old days of Skyport...

More
16 Oct 2016 07:35 #5 by Kevin Gassert
Replied by Kevin Gassert on topic Fuel shut off valve
If they still have the valves then they are probably the only ones in existence. They were very difficult to find and rebuild to get them working again. No other Skyport owners had done that for us. Skyport has been owned by at least 4 people since I have been around Ercoupes. All of them go into it with high hopes of helping Ercoupe owners but they don't go into it to lose money. Then they find out that it is mostly guys calling for free tech support and great ideas about how they can do something cheaper then buying the correct part from Skyport. The current owner was our best hope yet because he has a separate successful aviation business so the Skyport side didn't need to be highly profitable but just needed to slightly profitable to justify the large amount of space the inventory takes up. What is sad is we have burned out another Skyport owner. What is sad is that everyone seems to have learned their lesson since no one is stepping up. I know the current owner and what is sad is I saw him go from enthusiasm about supporting Ercoupes by actively seeking out things like these fuel valves that were not available for many years to being burnt out by the realization that many Ercoupe owners would rather go the the hardware store and by an illegal part to save a few dollars. He and I used to talk Ercoupes and work on Ercoupes together all the time. He spent his weekends working on Ercoupes at a reduced rate. I spent weekends helping at no rate (well, I did get Ercoupe parts). We don't do that anymore.

Kevin

• Chris Carlisle
  • Topic Author
15 Oct 2016 20:40 #6 by Chris Carlisle
Replied by Chris Carlisle on topic Fuel shut off valve
Yeah......Skyport's on the decline as they try and get someone to buy them out. I think we all had better get used to life without them. Sad.

Chris

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds