Breadcrumbs

TSO

• Chris Carlisle
27 Dec 2016 14:13 #1 by Chris Carlisle
Replied by Chris Carlisle on topic TSO
I agree with Edd and Josef. If non-tso'd stuff weren't legal to install, how could the avionics manufacturers get away with making it in the first place? The logic of it, which may or may not apply when dealing with FAA, is that TSO'd stuff is built to a higher standard and fulfills certain testing and engineering criteria such as vibration and moisture tolerance, minimum output power, and esp with transceivers, frequency accuracy since the TSO'd units go into corporate and Part 121 planes that fly at higher altitudes where there is more chance of overlapping frequencies interfering with others' radios at longer distances. I think there's a reg that says you can't climb into the flight levels (above 18000 msl) with non-TSO'd radios.

Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Dec 2016 18:32 #2 by Kevin Gassert
Replied by Kevin Gassert on topic TSO
P.S. Just for fun call your FSDO back and ask them to show you in where the regulation is that supports them saying you need the TSO.

Kevin

More
24 Dec 2016 18:17 #3 by Kevin Gassert
Replied by Kevin Gassert on topic TSO
It is a waste of time anymore to call a FISDO about our CAR certified aircraft. What little they know is only about FAR aircraft. I remember a time when you could call and get a straight answer you could believe but sadly those days are long gone.

Kevin

More
15 Dec 2016 14:07 #4 by Super User
Replied by Super User on topic TSO
All you need is your A&P or IA or Avionics Tech/Shop to log that the unit that was installed is "acceptable for installation". They key is the word acceptable. That means the person signing believes (for any number of reasons) that the item is acceptable for use in your aircraft. The word "approved" means something different - that the FAA has actually approved it's use (or given someone else permission to approve it for use) in your airplane.

Heck, if you wanted to put a college drom-sized kenmore refrigerator and could get an A&P to sign it off, you could!

NOTE: you do not need a 337 for this. It's not a major alteration. Well, maybe adding a frig is :-)

josef

More
13 Dec 2016 18:43 #5 by George Sellers
Replied by George Sellers on topic TSO
Thanks!

More
13 Dec 2016 02:39 #6 by Edward Moore
Replied by Edward Moore on topic TSO
George: I concur with the non TSO - Thousands and thousands of King KX 170 series nav/coms (non TSO) were installed only the KX175 was/is TSO. I think some of the issue has to do with IFR rated.
But to solve the situation, check out the Sigtronics SPA400, IIRC the model #. Have one in my Coupe and wanted to replace the name plate, it's panel mounted - contacted Sigtronics and they sent me new plate gratis - plate is reversible to allow vertical or horizontal mounting of unit- small, compact, comes with good instructions, etc.Face plate is plainly marked TSO. Reasonable priced. Obviously pleased with performance.

Edd

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds