Breadcrumbs

ERCO Factory on Perry Mason?

More
04 Aug 2024 04:15 #1 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic ERCO Factory on Perry Mason?
I have several photos of the factory including one, sadly, of its demolition.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2024 22:51 #2 by Edward Moore
Replied by Edward Moore on topic ERCO Factory on Perry Mason?
I was there in 1960 as a GE rep accepting electonic equipment that they had manufactured - electronic simulators for training purposes for the numerous items of the "guidance " system for the Mod 3 Atlas ICBM - didn't actually "guide" but tracked the missile off the pad and with doppler info, etc. input to a computer that competed the ballistic equation and then told missile when to shut engines off to reach target 5000 miles away. This was before "stable platforms" gyroscopes, etc were accurate enough to go "all iinertial". Don't ask me time or i'll tell you how to make a watch. :) PS The chief engineer there was A. Max Carpenter

Looks like a side view of the plant with larger parking lot and a numher of interconnectig bldgs, as customer, I parked in fromt main entrance, IIRC is some of the structure was those glass bricks of the day.

I visited with the engineers at lunch and noticed something odd - they pointed out that the floor of that bldg sloped from one end to the other, that was the Coupe finally assembly - as soon as the fuselage was on the main gear, just remove chocks and move to next location. There was a large door that opened and the Coupe was rolled out, serviced, and test flown from the immediate old Riverdale Airport. Some of you may have one of the manuals cover that depicts this flyaway.

At the same time, they were completing AF checkout in another bldg for the simulator for AF KC-130 refueling tanker aircraft. Carpenter asked the AF guys to stepout and I got to fly the simulator - said I was 1st visitor that didn't crash on landing.They could simulator various conditions -engine fires (red glow on frosted windshield, etc.

It was all mounted in rail road box car for movement around US. Years later developed a local retired AF LCol friend who was long time refueler in KC130 who had flown simulator in box car.

So how did you know what the plant looked like. Now I don't have to write the article I was thinking about.

More
02 Aug 2024 15:31 - 02 Aug 2024 15:34 #3 by Larry Snyder
ERCO Factory on Perry Mason? was created by Larry Snyder
At the very beginning of season 6, episode 13 of Perry Mason (The Case of the Renegade Refugee) the opening shot is of a factory that sure looks like the ERCO factory in Riverdale, Maryland (RIP). Can any folks who were familiar with that building take a look and see if that’s it? Thanks!!

Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Aug 2024 15:34 by Larry Snyder. Reason: Added photo

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds