Breadcrumbs

new airmen certification standards

More
07 Sep 2024 12:09 #1 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic new airmen certification standards
This just emphasizes the importance of a CFI who has a good relationship with a DPE. I was fortunate to have a CFI who had a great relationship with a DPE (an active ag pilot) and the examiner trusted that any student coming to him from my CFI would be well trained enough to pass. In my case my CFI went with me to my checkride, ready to go over any maneuvers I might fail on the checkride, so I could get my ticket that same day. Not needed, but a great confidence booster. It also allowed him to cut me a little slack.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Sep 2024 11:54 #2 by Ronald Raty
new airmen certification standards was created by Ronald Raty
I was browsing through the 2023 private pilot ACS with the Ercoupe in mind, and noticed a few changes.   Power on stalls:   The old standard included wording implying a heading had to be maintained up to the stall, but after the stall it was no longer a criteria.  That wording has been removed and the examiner is now saying the heading has to be maintained through the stall and recovery.  Pretty difficult in an airplane without rudder pedals.  Even iffy in a C150.  The other change I noticed was the removal of wording that stated, during a stall, if the elevator reaches the stops without a breaking stall (as the Ercoupe often does, as well as the PA28), that was considered a stall.  But not any more.    The examiner says the new standards are being written around the performance of the C172.  And, of course, the Ercoupe can't do slips or land aligned with the centerline in a cross wind.    Any one considering doing a checkride in an Ercoupe (even with limitations) might consider having a discussion with the examiner (or better to have your CFI do it) about which skills are going to be tested.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds