Breadcrumbs

New Memeber, Hello

• Steve McNew
17 Jun 2019 11:55 #1 by Steve McNew
Replied by Steve McNew on topic New Memeber, Hello
Right on all counts. Affordable? My 4.1gph average says so. No idea of the altitude thing, as my part of the world has ears popping at 1200'! (And Ohio, most dirt seems to have grass on it - not a problem unless it is soggy. That may not apply in Ut!)
Power? My bird is happily powered by an 85 hp engine - block cast in Nov '45! Fun all around, and the 'Coupe seems to be a magnet. Try one - Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ronald smith
  • Topic Author
27 May 2019 14:04 #2 by ronald smith
Replied by ronald smith on topic New Memeber, Hello
Thanks

Not any for sale in my area.
Can the wings be easily removed for transport?
Ron

More
26 May 2019 11:05 #3 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic New Memeber, Hello
Best engine would be a C-85, preferably one with the O-200 crankshaft. An O-200 would be good, but rare, since there is no STC for putting that engine on a 415C or 415CD, the two Ercoupe models that are light sport eligible. Be careful, some C models get converted to D models, which are not light sport eligible, and the owner sells it as a 425C/D. That is different from the factory 415CD.

Ercoupes fly fine from dirt or grass. I would disable the auto carb heat, because it causes unfiltered air to enter the carburetor at low RPMs. Most Ercoupes have disabled already.

Good luck!

• ronald smith
  • Topic Author
26 May 2019 10:45 #4 by ronald smith
New Memeber, Hello was created by ronald smith
Hello
I do not yet own an Ercoup but am so far convinced I will purchase one and try it out (or perhaps he other way around).
They seem incredibly affordable
I live in Kanab UT (KNB) 4930' - runway 6200x75

Which engine should I be looking for? Upgrades for higher HP?
What about EFI? I could be flying any where from sea level to 8000 ft out here in the west.
How about dirt runways? Do you do that kind of thing? There are hundreds of dirt runways out here.

I'm not sure that it matters but I have about 100hours in a Tomahawk back 30 years ago.. Is this plane an LSA? Same training requirements?

Anyway thanks for reading and hope to hear back

Ron Smith

PS I fell in love with my post WWII aircraft toys and think I was bitten by a P38 spider in my sleep

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds