Breadcrumbs

Alon A-2 Canopy insulation

More
30 Oct 2021 23:57 #1 by Warren Hampton
Replied by Warren Hampton on topic Alon A-2 Canopy insulation
As I understand it , each Alon's canopy was hand made for each airplane. Several have left in flight. If you have the air vents open, you can be craming air in. The top acts like an airfoil and lower Press over the top higher press inside. Put in cabin vents

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Oct 2021 10:57 #2 by John Jones
Replied by John Jones on topic Alon A-2 Canopy insulation
The only weather stripping/insulation mine has is along the inner edge of the front windshield bow. The sliding canopy itself doesn't have any. The "seal" material on the windshield bow appears to be a relatively firm and rounded silicone material that the canopy front closes over. I'm in San Diego but don't know of an Aircoupe instructor. John

• Ken Finley
  • Topic Author
11 Oct 2021 15:11 #3 by Ken Finley
Replied by Ken Finley on topic Alon A-2 Canopy insulation
thanks. Appreciate the info and offer. Will advise. ken

More
11 Oct 2021 12:06 #4 by Matt Gunsch
Replied by Matt Gunsch on topic Alon A-2 Canopy insulation
I would look at how much of a gap you have and find some strip weather stripping and put it on the canopy frame. If you can't find anyone local, I am in the Phoenix AZ area and can help out with the annual.

A&P, IA, PPSEL
too many years GA and Warbird Maint
Check out the Ercoupe Discussion group on facebook

• Ken Finley
  • Topic Author
11 Oct 2021 11:16 #5 by Ken Finley
Alon A-2 Canopy insulation was created by Ken Finley
I have a 1966 Alon A-2 and it looks as if there isn’t any weather stripping/insulation on the canopy edges.  When closed it definitely doesn’t fit tight around the edges and I get a very loud whistling noise when flying.  In fact, to the point that even using noise cancelling headsets it is difficult to hear ATC.  Are there any recommendations on what material to put on the edges to help seal the canopy to the cockpit? I am located in Southern California and I am looking for a mechanic to do an annual and for an instructor to check out another pilot for insurance purposes.  Thanks.  Ken

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds