Breadcrumbs

AD 2002-26-02 Center Section Spar Corrosion Inspection

More
01 Mar 2021 15:19 #7 by Edward Moore
Oops, John & Scott - I revisited the issue and all related documentation and Scott, I see your concern, especially living in Fl . I lived in Titusville for 15 years during early Atlas ICBM testing and then thru the Apollo and Skylab programs - built 2 pole barn hangars at Arthur Dunn. Now in TN.
While flying my Bonanza in TN, I watched an old time mechanic on same airport rebuild a 415C, from the early days of the whole wing corrosion issue . He had 5 wings apart in his hangar to find enough parts to rebuild a pair. I remember when he told me that he had reported to the FAA that their initial inspection requirements were not sufficient to uncover all the problems. His conclusion was that not all of the problems were/are due to atmospheric conditions but a result of the extrusion manufacturing of the era.
I'm sure you'll have considered SB 32 & 34.

Post heart attack, sold Bonanza and I now own the 415C mentioned above so I know its history. It has the D conversion with an 0-200 and 30 gal tank system but was retained as C for light sport restriction with ACO approval that I was involved in as an A&P/IA..

So, yes John, you are correct, as Univair pointed out, not AD required but highly recommended and with the location more so.

Edd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Mar 2021 09:26 #8 by John Jones
I believe to inspect the front side of the spars outboard of the fuselage requires pulling the fuel tanks.

More
01 Mar 2021 02:27 #9 by Edward Moore
Scott:
Suggest you reread he AD carefully - there is another option that permits cutting 4 inspection holes under each "wing walk" area to permit the visual inspection. IIRC Univair may have a kit with necessary parts, etc or. your mechanic can fab the parts. The holes are just covered with the standard inspection plates.

Edd

• Scott Baker
  • Topic Author
28 Feb 2021 09:37 #10 by Scott Baker
Hello Group,
First time posting to EOC.  I purchased a 415C a little over a year ago and it is now going through its first 'at home' annual.  My IA, whom I trust to be the aircraft's 'doctor' is doing a thorough inspection.  I don't know about you guys, but I pay my IA to find things that could potentially ruin my day.
On the the subject at hand ... AD202-26-02 speaks to inspecting the center section wing spar section.  The AD - as one option - suggests removing the main wings in order to lay eyes on the center section spar - this opens things up to inspect the rear of the spar, but not the forward face (which is hidden by the fuel tanks).
Question for you IA's - what is your recommendation on how to visually inspect the forward face of the center section spar?
Many Thanks,
Scott Baker
Sebastian, FL
N66K

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds