Breadcrumbs

FLYING WITH CANOPY OPEN

More
15 Apr 2021 05:25 #7 by Michael Hainen
Replied by Michael Hainen on topic FLYING WITH CANOPY OPEN
If you feel it is very secure fly with canopy open. I have my 415c side windows open all the time. But I am not a fan if the canopy is a slide back type.

READ.
www.kathrynsreport.com/search?q=Tango+II+++Ocala+FL

www.kathrynsreport.com/search?q=Mustang+II+++++2020

In the first case I knew the designer/ builder and wouldn't get in anything he was involved with, was a sailboat builder that built a racing sailboat for us and it nearly sank during Mackinac Sailboat race.

The 2nd case involved an airshow pilot that I just meet some of his pilot friends in an airpark at his "memorial tiki bar" in a hangar. A real sad story.

Grumman Tigers have slideback canopy and you can fly with it open, I'd want some kind of secondary securing device, Don't want to have a canopy cut off my rudder or elevator as it flies off the rails.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2021 20:14 #8 by Robert James
Replied by Robert James on topic FLYING WITH CANOPY OPEN
I’d appreciate of the front Canopy clips please.
I’d also like to fly with the Canopy open on warm sunny days, but feel my canopy is a bit to fragile with only one set of sliders attaching it to the track.
Cheers,

Robert James
C-FBVV

More
16 Mar 2021 06:24 #9 by Robert Tompkins
Replied by Robert Tompkins on topic FLYING WITH CANOPY OPEN
Dear All,

Last September my Canopy on my Alon A2A ejected itself when I was flying at 10000 ft AGL. Thank goodness there was no damage to the rest of the airplane and the Alon flew fine (but was extremely cold).
It was truly an "open cockpit" experience and rather exhilarating.

Luckily with the help of Vernon Gregory, I located a replacement canopy and am in the process of having it adjusted to fit better.

My experience with opening the cockpit has been mixed. It dramatically increases drag and is almost impossible to close once it is open (in flight). I wish that there was another latch that allows it to stay in place when opened.

When I was at Vernon's terrific bone yard, I found that someone had engineered another set of canopy clips that went on the front of the canopy. They were attached to the frame around the windscreen. Given my experience with the canopy flying off, this provides me with more comfort that the canopy is secured both in the front and the back.

If anyone wants pictures, I can make some and send these on.

Robert Tompkins
N5478F

More
10 Feb 2021 20:10 #10 by Gordie Meade
Replied by Gordie Meade on topic FLYING WITH CANOPY OPEN
You won't have much of an issue in level flight exceeding 100 mph. In fact, at cruise with the canopy open I can only get about 95-96. Where you would have to watch it is in descent.

• Scott Engelhart
03 Feb 2021 18:26 #11 by Scott Engelhart
Replied by Scott Engelhart on topic FLYING WITH CANOPY OPEN
John,
Thank you for the response! I agree that if I fly with open canopy, (something I really want to experience) I'd certainly observe the 100 mph limitation.

More
01 Feb 2021 11:44 #12 by John Jones
Replied by John Jones on topic FLYING WITH CANOPY OPEN
I have an Alon so can't comment directly on the M10 but what I've noticed is if the canopy is closed but the interior latches not fastened the canopy will "open" wider at the back greatly increasing airflow through the cabin. I've only flown a couple of time with it truly open but it seems like it would stay with the plane. I did not push the 100mph speed limit so don't know how the higher speeds would impact it.

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds