Breadcrumbs

Is this 415 Legal??

More
24 Jul 2024 14:13 #7 by Edward Moore
Replied by Edward Moore on topic Is this 415 Legal??
If ALL other items are ok and I will emphasize the AD issue $$, then the C90 could possibly be taken care of by creating a 337 that states, "This Forrm 337 is to report an engine change done previously by person or person unknown." Then go on with verbage talking about logbooks/records being lost,etc. and covering known engine approvals even up to100Hp in the same airfrane. Closing with "installation inspected and aircraft is safe for flight'
Not seeking a field approval, so IA signs bottom line and sends copy directly to OKCity
I have used this method covering several mods to my aircraft. I had known of this for years but in recent years an FAA PMI suggested it to another IA.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daniel Simpson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2024 10:51 #8 by John Jones
Replied by John Jones on topic Is this 415 Legal??
The CD from the FAA will have all of the 337s that have been filed and should include one for the conversion to a "D" model with gross weight increase and also the C-90 engine. If both of those are in the FAA records there should be no reason for concern on that point.

With logs from 2016 recurring AD compliance "should" be documented correctly. As Larry said it would be a good idea to have AP/IA check the plane for compliance. I also agree with his comments on the log books and lack thereof.

Sorry, can't help with a recommendation for an AP/IA in your area

More
23 Jul 2024 08:04 #9 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Is this 415 Legal??
It may be legal, or maybe not. I’ve seen this configuration but it requires a field approval. The TCDS does not allow a C-90, just a C-85.
The log books are also a cause for concern. I would want an A&P/IA to go through every AD to confirm compliance (and there are lots of them) and put that in the logs.
There’s probably nothing wrong the plane, but being satisfied with the paperwork could be expensive.
I’m not a mechanic, in fact, it’s a struggle for me to do basic maintenance. But I’ve been reading up and talking to many people over 20 years.
If you never have an incident and never have an insurance claim, there’s a 99% chance your log books will never be read. If, however, you want to sell in the future, buyers want good logs.
Good luck!

More
23 Jul 2024 07:48 #10 by Daniel Simpson
Is this 415 Legal?? was created by Daniel Simpson
Hello all, I'm Dan. I appreciate your help. I'm a 51-year-old student pilot in Central Florida, so I don't know a whole lot about aircraft ownership yet.

I have found  a 1946 Ercoupe N93868 #1191. I do like the plane a lot. My concern is legality. Seller, who has owned the plane for a year, states the plane is a 415-D with a C90 engine and 1400lb MTOW, and has a placard that indicates 415-D. Logs only go back to 2016. 

I've ordered the $10 FAA records CD. So, not sure what they will hold, also not sure if would know what they mean. FAA N# search comes back to the seller but as 415-C with a C75 engine.  How can that be? I looked through the TCDS and didn't find any STC for the C and D models to have a C90. However, I have no experience with this sort of thing, and am hopefully missing something.

The plane has a valid AWC but what really worries me is that at my first annual, the A&P will void the whole thing for having a C-90 

Like I said, I'm new to this and am feeling over my head. So, can a 1946 ERCO 415 have a C90 engine and still be compliant and is this something I should really be worried about?

And finally, any A&P recommendations in the vicinity of KINF?

Thanks so much for your help.

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds