Breadcrumbs

Modify Elevator to Split Elevator

More
28 Aug 2022 02:41 - 28 Aug 2022 02:45 #7 by Edward Moore
Replied by Edward Moore on topic Modify Elevator to Split Elevator
Larry, you are correct re the owner produced part. There should be no problem having the dwgs.etc. I remember hearing the late Bill O'Brien FAA Washington talking about the reg as he was pushing it thru the system - he wrote/reviised a number of regs with the field folks in mind. This issue is one of the reasons {vintage) the reg was written He stood in front of the audience and commented that the "owner" had to be involved in the process and with "tongue-in-cheek" he said the owner could be the final "QC inspector" in the process.. He was a great guy- very approachable - I had several interactions with him. The FAA has an award in his name. FWIW
Last edit: 28 Aug 2022 02:45 by Edward Moore. Reason: additional comment

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dudley Beek
27 Aug 2022 21:13 #8 by Dudley Beek
Replied by Dudley Beek on topic Modify Elevator to Split Elevator
if you go to the Ercoupe drawings 415-22001 film index A562 is assembly elevator.Film index A564, A565 and A566 show further details of construction. there is prior chatter on the mail archive section. The drawing for the split elevator is 415-200010 I believe. John Cooper said Skyport had the factory drawings , but Lynn Nelson said 'Yes John, It is possible to convert your straight elevator to the split one. The only pieces you use from the old one are the front beam (spar) and the end ribs. Everything else is different. I obtained a drawing several years ago and converted one. Since then, I have converted several airplanes, and I recommend buying one already made and rebuilding it vice trying to remake yours. I admit that I am slow, but making the ribs (only two are the same) and all of the skin pieces (six) takes me several days working all day.
If you do not have the tools to dimple the skins, and make the offset trailing edges it is really tough. (Unless of course you have access to or a friend in a metal working shop). Unfortunately, you cannot go to the local Sears Roebuck or hardware store and buy the tools and materials.
Please ensure you have approval prior to making the change. It took me several months to convince the local FAA FSDO that it could and should be done.

More
24 Aug 2022 15:54 #9 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Modify Elevator to Split Elevator
The EOC has lots of Ercoupe drawings. You might give Gene Bunt a call and see if he has any drawings of the split elevator. Heck, you could make a business out of supplying new split elevators!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clayton Eveland

More
24 Aug 2022 15:45 #10 by Clayton Eveland
Replied by Clayton Eveland on topic Modify Elevator to Split Elevator
The legal part is not the problem. I work closely with a few designated engineering representatives (DER) and they told me if I can find any type of technical drawings that shows the material, skins and lay out of a split elevator they can create an 8130 form for me.

More
24 Aug 2022 15:21 #11 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Modify Elevator to Split Elevator
I wonder if you could legally produce one under the owner made part rule, which allows owners to make parts for a vintage plane where replacements may not be available. I think the split elevators are getting harder to find.

More
24 Aug 2022 14:21 #12 by Matt Gunsch
Replied by Matt Gunsch on topic Modify Elevator to Split Elevator
E models and later, as well as Forneys, Alons all had the split tail.

A&P, IA, PPSEL
too many years GA and Warbird Maint
Check out the Ercoupe Discussion group on facebook

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds