Breadcrumbs

New Ercoupe owner

More
18 Sep 2022 14:00 #1 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic New Ercoupe owner
Good comments on landing. I got in more trouble taking off in a crosswind. The plane wants to pivot into the wind. Don’t let the nose wheel leave the ground until you’re ready to fly! You make sure the nose wheel is firmly planted until you get to flying speed, then pull up quickly. If you let the nose come up too early, you’ll get a real close look at the runway lights!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Randy Branson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Sep 2022 13:25 #2 by Ronald Raty
Replied by Ronald Raty on topic New Ercoupe owner
I just recently took my Checkride in an Ercoupe. Many instructors (especially the newly minted ones) aren't familiar with the plane and so avoid it. And my insurance required the CFI have 5 hours in Ercoupes (a risk I had to assume since I couldn't find one). As a result, I did most of my training in Cherokees and C-150s. Once I solo'd, I taught myself to fly my Ercoupe. My instructor went up once with me, then signed me off. I noticed 2 primary differences when landing.

1. obviously, you have to land in a crab if there is a crosswind. But you probably already are crabbed when on final, so just maintain that all the way to the runway. Forget about doing slips, or kicking rudder at the last second. The plane knows what to do when the wheels touch the pavement. On one of my last landings with the instructor on a windy day, he commented, "You know, we just landed in a 15 knot crosswind". I hadn't noticed.

2. When you first touch down but still have some speed, your steering is through the nose wheel, not the rudders. Don't try to hold the nose gear off the runway for as long as you can like in other planes, you need it to steer.

When you get close to taking the checkride, contact some Examiners. I had several tell me I couldn't test in an Ercoupe because it couldn't demonstrate all the skills required by the Standards. It helps if you cite the FAR section that allows for testing in planes that can't meet all the Standards. I'm not sure all examiners are familiar with that paragraph.

More
14 Sep 2022 12:20 #3 by RP J
Replied by RP J on topic New Ercoupe owner
The inspection holes are there. It is like swiss cheese under the wing.

The IA who did the annual is familiar with the plane and looked in the inspection holes. Based on what I have read on this forum though, it is not always easy to see the corrosion unless a borescope is used or the wings are removed. There is exterior corrosion that I was able to sand off. It all appears to be only on the exterior and due to a poor paint job from the po. It's this exterior corrosion that has me concerned about more possible corrosion on the inside spar. So I want to ensure there is no corrosion.

Thanks for steering me Vernon's way. I will contact him.

I have only spoken with a couple instructors who are in the hangers where my plane is tied down. They both said the rudder is the most important part of their training... However, they also did not seem to be able to teach me how to land in a tail dragger(something I want to do to compensate for the lack of rudder training in the ercoupe) -- so long story short I will keep looking around. I really just need a lesson or two on how to 'crab' land.

More
14 Sep 2022 12:01 #4 by Ron Holmes
Replied by Ron Holmes on topic New Ercoupe owner
I too am a student pilot and I am getting my instruction in my Coupe.  Where are you going to locate your Coupe?  I am about 100 miles east of S.F.   My instructor is a young guy and he ferries planes as well.  I know you issues and concerns.  This is my first airplane and as you can see I am a student pilot.  If I can help in any way, just let me know..    
Attachments:

More
14 Sep 2022 05:55 #5 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic New Ercoupe owner
1. Check with Vernon Gregory in South Carolina. He is a priceless resource for Ercoupe owners!

2. That must be a California thing. I’ve had no problems with CFIs. Ask around and find someone who instructs for the love of flying, not to build time to become an airline captain.

3. There are a lot of great Ercoupe pilots on the west coast. Good luck’

4. There are 3 ways to satisfy the center section AD: first, and best, is to put inspection holes in the belly of the plane that allow close inspection of the spar. The second method is using a borescope to look at the spar. The third is to remove the wings to inspect the spar. The holes in the bottoms of the wings allow the inspection of the wing spars. That’s a different AD. The big one is the inspection of that center spar.

I hope you find the support you need out west! Welcome to a great group of people!

More
14 Sep 2022 05:49 #6 by William James
Replied by William James on topic New Ercoupe owner
did you grt a prepurchase inspection ? There should be 5 or 6 , 2 inch inspection
holes on the underside of each wing You said they were there . . These are required and shoul give you adequate inspection capability .
Be very wary of any instructor who won.t instruct in your coupe . The Ercoupe is one of the safest factory aircraft produced . As to no rudder pedals , the only real drawback is if you test in it , you will get a license limitation to fly only "no rudder pedal aircraft" (double check this) If you were told corrosion WAS evident , not a good thing . Enjoy

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds