Breadcrumbs

STCs missing - huge gaps in records

More
25 Nov 2023 14:53 #1 by Matt Gunsch
Replied by Matt Gunsch on topic STCs missing - huge gaps in records
If one of my mechanics brought that to me, I would make him redo it. not doing a complete entry is just being lazy, I bet his AD sheet sign offs just said C/W.

A&P, IA, PPSEL
too many years GA and Warbird Maint
Check out the Ercoupe Discussion group on facebook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Nov 2023 14:48 #2 by Matt Gunsch
An AD status sheet, such as those created by a AD research program is never a official part of a logbook, it is sheets of paper that can be removed and replaced, unlike logbooks pages. A AD list is good to see what ADs are in the logs and when they were done, but most AD sheets I have seen, the IA who prepared it, signs off everything on the sheet, so is he signing that the AD was done or that he did them? The AD that is listed as part of a logbook entry and has the information required by FAR 39, is a legal sign off.

A&P, IA, PPSEL

More
24 Nov 2023 12:28 #3 by Ronald Raty
Replied by Ronald Raty on topic STCs missing - huge gaps in records
I'm not an expert on these things, but I will point out that since the airworthiness log entry statement makes reference to the AD Log, that log is now part of your logbook.   You may have several logbooks anyway (airframe, engine, propeller) and now you have one more to keep with your logbook collection.  The AD logbook should list every AD with a sign off by an A&P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Raymond Knox

More
24 Nov 2023 09:03 #4 by Nathan Bissonette
Replied by Nathan Bissonette on topic STCs missing - huge gaps in records
 Thanks for your reply. I went back and re-read your article.  I just bought the airplane, my first.  The last annual was done by the prior owner.  A copy of the logbook entry is attached.  I assume you'd find this logbook entry deficient? 

I don't want to insult the AP/IA who did it because I might need him for the next annual.  Would you recommend I ask for an updated logbook entry; ask for the AD sheet so I can see what was done; or let it go this time? 

Thanks for your help!!

Attachments:

More
23 Nov 2023 19:36 #5 by Raymond Knox
Replied by Raymond Knox on topic STCs missing - huge gaps in records
All STC’s require a 337 be presented to the owner and one mailed into the FAA. The STC holder has a list of every aircraft that was authorized to install the STC. If the FAA does not have a copy of the STC that is installed. And no copy exists in the records. Contact the STC holder. If they do not have a record of your aircraft; it was never authorized for installation. Keep in mind that at every annual, the aircraft has to meet type design or in a properly altered condition; to be considered “airworthy”. So good records make that determination easier. Also once a maintenance item has been redone; the previous record is no longer required. But still good to have, for continuity.

More
22 Nov 2023 19:38 #6 by Matt Gunsch
As QA for a repair station, we are only required to retain records for 2 years, after that they are purged, ie thrown out. As far as ADs, in my opinion, unless the AD is entered in the logbook as a entry, it has not been complied with, a AD sheet is intended to be a index where you can go to find when a AD was done, and then go find the entry in the logbooks. I wrote a article about ADs in the October Coupe Capers.

A&P, IA, PPSEL
The following user(s) said Thank You: Raymond Knox

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds