Breadcrumbs

STCs missing - huge gaps in records

More
22 Nov 2023 15:02 - 22 Nov 2023 15:15 #7 by Warren Hampton
Replied by Warren Hampton on topic STCs missing - huge gaps in records
Dose your airplane fly and it in Annual? You have an old Bird and if it was just general Maintenace what does it matter now? But go for it if that what you want to do, good luck. I am shore others may think differently about this...
Last edit: 22 Nov 2023 15:15 by Warren Hampton. Reason: more to say

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Nov 2023 14:55 #8 by Warren Hampton
How old are those type of entries ? A work order is only as good as the company long duration. My dad use a man that moved 40 miles away and sat up his business, then he retired and died. Where did his records go ????

More
22 Nov 2023 11:37 #9 by Nathan Bissonette
Replied by Nathan Bissonette on topic STCs missing - huge gaps in records
Several of my logbook entries say something like: "More information may be found at this repair station under work order 317."  Have any of you chased down those work orders to see what work was done?  Should I?

Some entries say "All ADs checked through 2015-12, see separate AD compliance record."  Have any of you chased down those records to see what work was done and to what standards? Should I?

The Seller told me he runs MOGAS but couldn't produce the STC and it's not on the FAA CD.  Experimental Aircraft Association was wonderful - they found the aircraft in their records and are sending updated information (cost $40, cheap). 
Kudos to them.

Really appreciate all the great advice I've gotten from the forum.  Thanks !!

More
15 Oct 2023 19:05 #10 by Warren Hampton
Logbooks are only as good as the writer. I have seen logs(airframe) log with every flight a guy made even trip around the pattern and annual insp. this date I found aircraft airworthy singed by some guy who could hardly write his own name. Some logs are very well articulated. Logs tend to get lost as a Forney I have 7509C guy died next could not get it Reg FAA said no way without being signed off by the departed guy or his estate which he did not have. So, it got parted out.

More
12 Oct 2023 23:58 #11 by RP J
Replied by RP J on topic STCs missing - huge gaps in records
"How bad is it to not have all the records?"

This depends on who you ask. Personally, I think old log book entries and even most newer ones are worthless. Though, they can be interesting to read.

I would be looking at who did the most recent engine overhaul and make sure they are reputable. I would then thoroughly go over the airplane with a borescope if you know what to look for, or pay someone to do this for you. These old airplanes are simple and essentially they are just riveted pieces of aluminum with simple cable mechanisms. The thing to look for is the condition of the these metals(sheets, cables, wires) in regard to corrosion, check the rubber pieces such as engine mounts, landing gear discs, etc, etc. Wear to these items could happen in years or even in months depending on many variables.

The best advise I received from a pilot/mechanic when I decided to buy an airplane is to "Trust No-one"! This rings true when it comes to log books which can easily give the facade to someone that an airplane is in better shape then it is. You are almost better off without log book entries when it comes to an old airplane since it will force you to look at everything. lol

The only time a log book matters is when you sell the airplane. So if you are worried about resale value it could be an issue. I'm sure you can find someone though who will see through all the bureaucracy and understand what they are getting into when they buy an old airplane. 

Now its time for someone else to tell you the exact opposite of everything I just said. As Warren states, welcome to the world of vintage airplanes. 

More
30 Jul 2023 01:24 #12 by Warren Hampton
Welcome to owning and old classic airplane!

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds