Breadcrumbs

STCs missing - huge gaps in records

More
27 Jul 2023 21:51 #13 by David Gilson
Replied by David Gilson on topic STCs missing - huge gaps in records
I'm working through the same thing. I ordered the records from faa and started there,
. I identified all the known stc' installed and connected the owners, they were gracious enough to send me the paperwork for the owner who bought it. Some were orphaned and I started field approvals for them. I'm almost done recreating all 9f the paperwork to clean it up. Lots of work, but it was fun.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2023 22:06 #14 by Matt Gunsch
Replied by Matt Gunsch on topic STCs missing - huge gaps in records
If the logbooks are complete, then all STCs should have been entered when they were installed. There should be corresponding form 337s for the STCs. The FAA CD will only have what was sent in to them, I found 337s in my records that the FAA did not have in my planes file, so I sent copies of those in.

If the plane was repaired by a repair station, then they would not be required to file a 337 and repairs are no more than a logbook entry.

A&P, IA, PPSEL
too many years GA and Warbird Maint
Check out the Ercoupe Discussion group on facebook

More
07 Jul 2023 14:42 #15 by Super User
Replied by Super User on topic STCs missing - huge gaps in records
Missing records are challenging. You now have a gap that only a thorough inspection can overcome without having the risk that repairs/maintenance were not performed properly. That is a risk for you to accept or reject, and would factor heavily into the negotiations. I would consider having the prebuy (at a minimum) include a very detailed inspection – beyond the basics. My experiences with missing/partial logs is that the plane is worth 1/3 to ¾ less than asking. But, that’s your call.

The risk is that sometime after you buy it, an inspection will determine it to be unairworthy at your expense.

More
07 Jul 2023 14:09 #16 by Wouter van Tiel
Replied by Wouter van Tiel on topic STCs missing - huge gaps in records
It would take too long to get the cd directly from the FAA, my pre buy is next week, and I can get the CD from aerospace, the escrow company just the same and they already have the info a part of their title search and can email it to me.

Glad I found out about the cd here and from the FSDO.

More
07 Jul 2023 13:47 #17 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic STCs missing - huge gaps in records
Why don’t you get the CD for yourself? It’s $10 on the FAA web site. I wouldn’t hold my breath on MOSAIC.

More
07 Jul 2023 13:32 #18 by Wouter van Tiel
Replied by Wouter van Tiel on topic STCs missing - huge gaps in records
The FSDO rep was able to read back the contents of the disc to me and I recognized a lot of it, as I have docs emailed to me from seller's rep. He might have gotten that from the disc. Aerospace the company that also does escrows gets the disc as part of doing the title search.

So there is a big chance that the docs I have are the official record that the FAA maintains.

The LSA point might become moot as MOSAIC comes in and will change things substantially. It is going to be a formula instead of just gross weight by itself.

The records are what they are and the plane is what it is.

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds