Breadcrumbs

Is a Forney 415-C LSA compliant?

More
01 Jun 2019 11:43 #7 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Is a Forney 415-C LSA compliant?
If they are 1946 415C airplanes, they cannot be Forneys. The FAA records are all messed up when it comes to Ercoupes. The type certificate wasn’t sold to Forney until somewhere around 1950. Do not take the FAA registration records as gospel! If you’re looking for an Ercoupe, carefully examine the logs, get a copy of the CD for that aircraft from the FAA, and assume it’s NOT a C or CD until proven otherwise! I’ve heard many sad tales.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ken Burrell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2019 11:43 #8 by Super User
Replied by Super User on topic Is a Forney 415-C LSA compliant?
The FAA database is notoriously riddled with errors for Ercoupes - they list Ercoupe, Aircoupe, Forney, Univair, Mooney, and others as "coupes".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ken Burrell

• Ken Burrell
  • Topic Author
01 Jun 2019 11:21 #9 by Ken Burrell
Replied by Ken Burrell on topic Is a Forney 415-C LSA compliant?
A simple search on the FAA website turns up 30 415c,d,e,g models made by Forney with current registrations. See attached.

I did a more extensive search of expired/cancelled registrations, and found 24 more registrations of 415c, cd, d, e, and g models. See second attached.

Unless this is a huge error on the FAA website, I dont understand why these are Forney? Could some owners have derated a 415-G to a C under Forney?

If that were the case, then I dont think these would be LSA compliant, but if they have always been 415C or CD, why are they called Forney?

Perhaps someone knows the answer?

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:

• Ken Burrell
  • Topic Author
01 Jun 2019 10:51 #10 by Ken Burrell
Replied by Ken Burrell on topic Is a Forney 415-C LSA compliant?
You may be on to something about a "bill of goods", but when I checked with the FAA records, there are dozens of aircraft listed as 415-C, with low serial numbers made in 1946, but manufactured by Forney. Here are just two examples:

N99417
N99558

I find it hard to believe that the FAA has dozens of such entries, but they are there.

More
01 Jun 2019 10:45 #11 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Is a Forney 415-C LSA compliant?
The only Ercoupes that are eligible for sport pilots are the ERCO 415C and 415CD. Basically, airplanes operating under type certificate A-718 are eligible. Forney never made a 415C. They made the F1. Sounds like somebody is selling a bill of goods...

• Ken Burrell
  • Topic Author
01 Jun 2019 10:39 #12 by Ken Burrell
Is a Forney 415-C LSA compliant? was created by Ken Burrell
I have been looking for a 415-C Ercoupe to fly under sport pilot rules, and have found several 415-C aircraft listed as made by Forney. These Forney aircraft have manufacturing dates of 1946 and serial numbers that are between 37 and 2181, which would date several years before Forney acquired the rights.

Are these 415-C Forneys LSA compliant, or could they Forney F-1 somehow derated to a type 415-C?

Time to create page: 0.214 seconds