Breadcrumbs

Carb Won't Lean

• Larry McCartin
  • Topic Author
06 May 2021 19:16 #1 by Larry McCartin
Replied by Larry McCartin on topic Carb Won't Lean
You are correct, it is a 272 sold for both cars and planes. Please see my reply above and thank you for your input. Larry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Larry McCartin
  • Topic Author
06 May 2021 19:14 #2 by Larry McCartin
Replied by Larry McCartin on topic Carb Won't Lean
Thank you to everyone who responded. I have finally been able to identify the carb. There was some question but found the answer. It is a Stromberg 380272-1 serial number 3628. My research had tole me that Stromberg sold carbs for both the aircraft and automotive industry. The info I have learned is the this one could be purchased as either a leanable or non-leanable unit. Mine in the non-leanable unit but research says there is an adapter kit that can be put on the carb. I'm going to start researching that. If any of our members are familure with this, please contact me at 520-444-4390   Regards, Larry  N93436 Grants, New Mexico

• Randy Hirsch
05 May 2021 07:38 #3 by Randy Hirsch
Replied by Randy Hirsch on topic Carb Won't Lean
The info in my post is for p/n 380172.

More
04 May 2021 21:07 #4 by Ronald Raty
Replied by Ronald Raty on topic Carb Won't Lean
Are you sure of the part number? 380272 was intended for a 49 Ford V8. 380172 was intended for a C85 with pressure pump. I suspect you have the latter.

• Randy Hirsch
04 May 2021 15:42 - 05 May 2021 07:36 #5 by Randy Hirsch
Replied by Randy Hirsch on topic Carb Won't Lean
I don't claim to be a Stromberg expert but I did overhaul 2 of them. P/N 380172 is a NA-S3A1 series carburetor with mixture control. It is a pressure type carb meant for a C-85. If your coupe has a header tank (the carb is gravity fed) then you have the wrong carb for your Ercoupe. This could possibly be the correct carb for an Ercoupe with the 30 gallon conversion kit - two 15 gallon wing tanks and no header tank, where the carb is fed through a fuel pump. Most of the time when an Ercoupe does not have a mixture control knob in the cockpit the mixture is wired full rich at the carb. If this is the case a mixture control cable can be added.
Last edit: 05 May 2021 07:36 by Randy Hirsch. Reason: incorrect number

• Larry McCartin
  • Topic Author
04 May 2021 13:37 #6 by Larry McCartin
Carb Won't Lean was created by Larry McCartin
I have a Stromburg 380272-1 carb serial number 3628 which is fixed and  cannot be leaned on a 415-C 1946 Ercoupe. I have moved to a new home and the density altitude on a 75 degree day is over 9000 feet. On a school teacher retirement it takes everything I can do to keep my little bundle of joy. I can't afford a new carb.  I need to change or have changed the carb jet for a higher altitude. Who can do this or where do I got to get the jet? Regards, Larry Mccartin N93436

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds