Breadcrumbs

Ercoupe Braking

More
04 Oct 2021 06:19 #1 by Robert James
Replied by Robert James on topic Ercoupe Braking
The Alon is still new to me but I believe the brakes are Cleveland. The rotors look good. The pads look like they have been cut out of some soft braking material, but haven’t seen that much use although they are partially shined up. The master cylinder is original equipment, as is the short the rubber line leading from it along the firewall.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2021 12:08 - 03 Oct 2021 12:10 #2 by Michael Hainen
Replied by Michael Hainen on topic Ercoupe Braking
My first question is do you have the original brakes or upgraded to Cleveland brakes, rotors, pads?  Not sure what types went into Alon produced aircraft.
Last edit: 03 Oct 2021 12:10 by Michael Hainen. Reason: clarification

More
24 Sep 2021 23:17 #3 by Robert James
Ercoupe Braking was created by Robert James
I was in a frisky mood, and testing the brakes on my Alon for Maximum Braking ability, using the hand brake and pulling on it hard while still trying to maintain directional control on rollout. I must say I was somewhat underwhelmed with its braking ability, both on grass and on pavement. Try as has I could, I could not get the wheels to lock up, or the tires to squeal. I estimate I was getting 65 to 75% of Max braking. I mean the braking is OK, but a lot of runway is being left behind with this moderate performance.
My question, - Is this the Normal braking ability for an Ercoupe/Alon?
- If not, any thought on what is causing it?
Is it due to a weak Master Brake Cylinder, worn pads, of possibly air in the line, and how do I diagnose air in the line or a soft Master Cylinder?

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds