Breadcrumbs

Compact Radios, Transponders and Intercoms

More
18 Feb 2022 13:50 #13 by Ken Thompson
Replied by Ken Thompson on topic Compact Radios, Transponders and Intercoms
I have a TQ KRT2 radio that fits in the 2.25 inch panel hole and is short enough to clear the header tank.
It’s a great radio. Holds 99 pre-programmed freqs and identifiers. One of the best features is that you can actually listen to your back up freq. or monitor BOTH frequencies at the same time with the primary overriding the back up.
So, I can be on Flight Following and listen to ATIS at my destination without having to tell ATC I’ll be off freq for a minute.

They make a matching transponder, too, but I already had a new Appareo ESG built INTO my panel. (Not hung from it.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2022 07:59 #14 by George Polos
Replied by George Polos on topic Compact Radios, Transponders and Intercoms
Charles, Where did you purchase the Flightline 760?

More
16 Feb 2022 22:23 #15 by Warren Hampton
Replied by Warren Hampton on topic Compact Radios, Transponders and Intercoms
Hi, Tim until 2 years ago I was up at Romona at the Old Chuck Hall's. Forney had a panel that the Radio & transponder stuck out and had a fairing, so it looked built in., Now most hang them below the main panel or stack them below. A little tin work they can look pretty good. I am putting 3 1/2 inches below my panel side to side. The oversize panels are now hard to find. I have seen guy build their own using the old panels as a frame...

More
16 Feb 2022 21:02 #16 by Charles Rosenfeld
Replied by Charles Rosenfeld on topic Compact Radios, Transponders and Intercoms
I use a Flightline 760 , from Spokane WA. Very easy install in a 2.5" instrument hole. I have had many compliments about the clarity and range of this low cost radio... not TSOd, but it doesn't have to be... quite inexpensive.

More
14 Feb 2022 21:02 #17 by Ron Holmes
Replied by Ron Holmes on topic Compact Radios, Transponders and Intercoms
I don't have advice for you but I am following your upgrade... I have a similar need to upgrade old radios ...

More
14 Feb 2022 13:18 #18 by Tim Cowden
Compact Radios, Transponders and Intercoms was created by Tim Cowden
I'm working on a plan to rplace my entire control panel with all new equipment.  There is only about 7" horizontally between the instrument panel and the nose fuel tank so conventional radios, transponders etc which measure 9.5 - 10.5 inches don't fit.  This is why my old radios, transpnder and intercom unit were hung down under the panel where they are in the way of my knees.  I want to mount light weight radios, transponder and intercom unit in the panel and therefore need units 7' or less deep.  I'm focused now on buying a couple of used Becker radios from a reputable maintenance shop at my airfield KSEE (San Diego).  These units are light and 7" deep and 2.5"diameter in the panel face. I would also like to get transponder and intercom units that are similar size.  I already have an installed Uavionix ADSB out unit in the tail. I would love to have you guys give me any insights and suggestions on these yunits.
Thanks,
Tim

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds