Breadcrumbs

Winter Operations (Very Cold Temp)

More
24 Feb 2016 07:25 - 24 Feb 2016 07:26 #1 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Winter Operations (Very Cold Temp)
The only opening you should cover up is the oil sump cooling opening, just under the prop. Skyport used to sell kits for a plate that attached with a single screw to cover that opening. I have discovered that with my 415C, that plate only brings the oil temp up about 10º or so. I have flown with temps at 16º Fahrenheit and the engine barely makes it to 140º and sometimes never gets past 135º, which is not in the green zone. I tried the oil sump blanket sold by Wage-Aero, and it didn't seem to help at all. But if you cover the oil sump opening you will run a little warmer. Do NOT cover the cylinder cooling openings. That could cause horrible things to happen to the engine! I've never had any breather issues.

Larry
N99340
Last edit: 24 Feb 2016 07:26 by Larry Snyder.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• brandon19073
  • Topic Author
14 Feb 2016 10:15 #2 by brandon19073
Winter Operations (Very Cold Temp) was created by brandon19073
We just purchased a Coupe and need to bring her home, but the temperature has been down around 0 and highs during the day around 10. Not sure heater can handle those temps. Also how about the engine, do we need winter plates for air intake holes on each side of the prop. See them listed in Univair catalog. Should we check breather line for a whistle hole as well. Read something about water in fuel and fuel pump freezing up.
Any thoughts on the subject.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds