Breadcrumbs

How much to disclose at Annual?

• Nathan Bissonette
  • Topic Author
More
03 Jul 2024 11:07 #1 by Nathan Bissonette
Replied by Nathan Bissonette on topic How much to disclose at Annual?
I purchased the STC for 1320 weight increase on my 415-C.  Alpha Aviation did not include a sample Form 337 in the documentation package.  The airplane is in  the shop for annual now so it's a convenient time to add "just one more thing while you're at it." 

Anybody filed a Form 337 for this?  Care to share? 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jun 2024 13:43 #2 by Robert Baker
Replied by Robert Baker on topic How much to disclose at Annual?
Consider when flying, you can't simply pull over to the side of the road if something stops working. In reply to your question, by all means disclose EVERYTHING of a maintenance issue nature to your IA/A&P. You are paying (I hope!) for the IA to find and fix items that could kill you (and your pax). If the IA is prone to "pencil whip" an Annual - find another IA! It costs less in the long run to fix am maintain as you go, rather than waiting for a major SQUAWK to occur. Small problems lead to bigger problems. Don't cheap out.

• RP J
23 Jun 2024 13:28 - 30 Jun 2024 20:57 #3 by RP J
Replied by RP J on topic How much to disclose at Annual?
Not disclosing "concerns" would be insane unless you already know what needs to be done and you are planning on fixing them outside of the annual.

Last edit: 30 Jun 2024 20:57 by RP J.

More
22 Jun 2024 12:39 #4 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic How much to disclose at Annual?
“disclose” implies you want to hide something. You certainly don’t want to hide anything that could affect your safety.

What I do is take the plane to my mechanic (a 10-minute flight) along with a written page of squawks. That list is anything I want corrected, whether it’s vital or not. I also verify which ADs need to be addressed. He takes it from there. He keeps track of all ADs and log books.

Sometimes I’ll want something done that isn’t critical to safety and he’ll let me know if it’s going to be expensive to make sure I want it done despite the cost.

I think a good relationship with your mechanic is important.

More
22 Jun 2024 11:42 #5 by Ronald Raty
Replied by Ronald Raty on topic How much to disclose at Annual?
I usually use an A&P/IA for the annual inspection, but if any work is required, I use a different A&P for that. An Inspector also being the mechanic has some conflict of interest potential.

More
22 Jun 2024 10:54 #6 by Matt Gunsch
Replied by Matt Gunsch on topic How much to disclose at Annual?
if you have something you want them to look at, you need to say something. Every IA is different, and what one says it is a have to fix or you will die item, another may say it needs some attention, but it can be worked later. Most Coupe logs are poor to say the least, esp when it comes to AD compliance entries, mostly I look for big items in the entries and look for consistent times, the rest of the logs are not of much use. I am more concerned about what I find with the plane.

A&P, IA, PPSEL
too many years GA and Warbird Maint
Check out the Ercoupe Discussion group on facebook

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds