Breadcrumbs

C-85 Stromberg carb and mixture issue (again)

• carlisle_99
  • Topic Author
10 Jul 2016 13:26 #1 by carlisle_99
Replied by carlisle_99 on topic C-85 Stromberg carb and mixture issue (again)
That's kinda what I was thinking. Guess I'll have to pull the carb again and send it back to D&G Supply who serviced it in May although I'm waiting for a reply of advice from them before committing. Thanks Larry.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jul 2016 17:43 #2 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic C-85 Stromberg carb and mixture issue (again)
It sounds to me like the float is too high and the carb is running too rich at low RPMs. This could also result in fuel dripping. Or maybe the needle valve isn't closing completely and fuel is leaking into the bowl even when the valve is closed, again resulting in running rich. You don't notice it at higher RPMs because of the engine's higher fuel demand. Just a guess!

• carlisle_99
  • Topic Author
09 Jul 2016 17:30 #3 by carlisle_99
OK......Again, I'm making progress on my 415C, ser # 508 with C85-12, and am almost back in the air after a long ordeal to get her in airworthy shape after purchase from a less-than-reputable seller. After having the carb rebuilt by a certified shop, it still runs kind of rough in the 1000-1300 rpm range. Played around with the idle mixture and if I back it off from anywhere besides the completely closed (full clockwise) position, it runs even rougher and after shut down, fuel is seen to run out of the filter/intake box onto the cowling underneath. When I close the idle mixture screw, this goes away. She runs just fine at all rpms above about 1500 or so and static, full throttle rpm is just right at 2200. I have a feeling the carb still isn't right.

Any C-85 guru's out there with advice? Is this a float issue as seems to be the case a lot of the time with the Stromberg carbs? If I hadn't spent so much $ on other stuff, I'd be tempted to just go ahead and replace the carb with a Marvel/Schebler and be done with it.

Thanks,
Chris (Sioux Falls, SD)

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds