Breadcrumbs

1400 pounds

More
14 Jul 2016 00:39 #1 by Edward Moore
Replied by Edward Moore on topic 1400 pounds
OOPS! Silverwing your response was not posted to me before I essentially repeated your observations. Hopefully the underwriters will appreciate the added business and not seize the opportunity to raise the $. However, when I stepped down from a Bonanza to the Coupe a couple of years ago, my broker (very experienced and previous underwriter herself) was able to keep same policy and change to Coupe with a same proportional rate with me declaring LS med regs
I have seen confusing numbers re the bill requirement, 1 year or 180 days.

I apologize to all for being off thread but the "debil made me do it"! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2016 00:20 #2 by Edward Moore
Replied by Edward Moore on topic 1400 pounds
Tim obviously you have gotten a special issuance in the recent past (2 -3 years) but I'm afraid one of the items to come out in the final FAA promulgation will require those of us who have had a cardiac condition since our last medical, within last 10 years, will be required to get a special issuance at least once . A case of the FAA having the last word "gotcha"! The "devil is always in the details"! However, one wonders how they will be able to "police" the regs - another case of "just don't have an incident". Another cynical thought, getting your Dr, who is not aviation oriented, to sign off with the increased liability

• silverwing
  • Topic Author
13 Jul 2016 21:39 #3 by silverwing
Replied by silverwing on topic 1400 pounds
I'm glad for you. Don't jump off the LSA bandwagon yet. The FAA has a year to make the rulings. And, the new rule still leaves out a large segment of the population. Many of us have medicals or special issuances that are older than 10 years as we've been flying sport since 2003. Funny they didn't make it 13 years. So, the risk of not being able to fly or having to jump through special issuance hoops still looms large for many of us and we don't want to risk it. Then, there's the question of how insurance underwriters are going to handle it. Anyway, Thanks for your reply and help.

• Tim Treat
13 Jul 2016 19:56 #4 by Tim Treat
Replied by Tim Treat on topic 1400 pounds
I do know that there is a 1320lb STC. Even though the new rule will be signed into law tomorrow, I am going to leave mine at 1320 even though LSA means so much less now. The value of all C's are going down or the value of D's and E's are going up!

The new rule is made for me. I'm 58 and in perfect health except that I have AFIB. It was so expensive to keep my medical that I let it go two years ago. Now I am good to go on my drivers license. I'm already telling the wife that we need to look for a 6 passenger big plane, LOL.

• silverwing
  • Topic Author
11 Jul 2016 20:44 #5 by silverwing
1400 pounds was created by silverwing
I've been doing research to find if a prospect has been certified to 1400 gtow. I have ordered the CD from the FAA. Meanwhile, in all the info I've found, the common terminology is that there's an STC for it. From what I've seen, there is no STC. There is a service letter that explains how to convert a 415 C or CD to a D model and thence to an E model. Converting to the D model is what gives the 1400 GTOW. As I understand it, beyond the physical modifications, it requires paperwork with the FAA where it is given a new type of D or E and complies with the A-787 type certificate, a new data plate with the new model and registered as the FAA as the new model. Does anyone know different? Am I mistaken? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds