Breadcrumbs

Frozen Main Shocks

19 Sep 2016 15:53 #1 by 10035
Replied by 10035 on topic Frozen Main Shocks
Congrats, on new airlpane!
With the aircraft jacked up. You should be able to work the main landing gear by hand. To service the strut, you need to remove the rubber bumper from the bottom stop.

If needed it is not a difficult task to replace the rubber donuts and the o-ring on the main gear.

December 3rd of this year will be 3 years I have had N3989H. I think I will have it flying by then! So much for a current annual!

Arlan
N3989H

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Sep 2016 14:44 #2 by Super User
Replied by Super User on topic Frozen Main Shocks
Alternatively, it might just be (though probably not) the joint/hinge itself. I recently replaced the teflon washers around the joint to tighten up the lower arm (which had side to side wobble). But, it's a greased joint, and if things are really old, it may be seized up as well.

If you're doing work on it, may as well fix the whole thing in one shot.

More
16 Sep 2016 14:38 #3 by Ronald Raty
Replied by Ronald Raty on topic Frozen Main Shocks
When you jacked up the gear, using a pin at the elbow of the trailing link (not the tire itself), the strut should have extended and the trailing link and wheel would rotate down. If it didn't, then it is seized and you should remove and rebuild the strut. Not particularly difficult to remove and take apart, although there is a tricky clip ring that can be challenging. When fully compressed, the fill port is blocked, so it won't take fluid.
www.ercoupe.info/?n=Main.MainGearServicing

• Lowell Sterchi
  • Topic Author
16 Sep 2016 12:14 #4 by Lowell Sterchi
Frozen Main Shocks was created by Lowell Sterchi
Just purchased plane, lots of work to do to make it legal...for the FAA, too many annuals inspected and signed off from 200 to 300 feet away!!! Last annual flown 3.3 hrs. this year.
Found what looks like frozen main wheel struts, and rusty outside of lower part. Jacked up
with 3/4 pin, strut would not take one drop of fluid. Let down, noticed strut did not move when
wheel touched the ground with full wt. on tire. Need help/advice.
Thanks,
Lowell

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds