Breadcrumbs

FAA ADS B OUT MANDATE

• Topic Author
23 Sep 2016 07:01 #1 by 9912
Replied by 9912 on topic FAA ADS B OUT MANDATE
Thanks for the responses. I just checked with a DAR (he writes for the magazine KitPlanes) and he said

"Thanks for your question. Unfortunately the answer is no! Your Ercoupe is a certified aircraft and must be maintained as such. There is no practical route to re-register your aircraft as Experimental. The LSA compliance factor is simply to allow a Sport Pilot to fly the aircraft. All aircraft must be maintained in accordance with their original certification."

So he agrees with the two EOC responses and if you want to equip with ABS B OUT you will need to use certified equipment.

Ted

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Arlan Allen
20 Sep 2016 15:44 - 21 Sep 2016 21:43 #2 by Arlan Allen
Replied by Arlan Allen on topic FAA ADS B OUT MANDATE
The ecoupe is not a LSA! It is a certified aircraft allowed to be operated under the LSA rule. The requirements for a TSO transponder is in 14 CFR Part 91.215.
Last edit: 21 Sep 2016 21:43 by Arlan Allen. Reason: Correction

More
20 Sep 2016 14:55 #3 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic FAA ADS B OUT MANDATE
I understand that the FAA is loathe to allow the conversion of a certificated aircraft to an experimental.

Here is a place that will install a Navworx system for under $3500:

skyvisionxtreme.com/?page_id=1160

Maybe with the FAA rebate it could be cheaper.

Larry

• Topic Author
20 Sep 2016 14:32 #4 by 9912
FAA ADS B OUT MANDATE was created by 9912
Most pilots know by now that the FAA has issued a rule that requires adding ADS B OUT transponders before Jan 1 2020 if they want to fly into Class A, B, C, and certain class E airspace. The equipment is quite expensive and those Ercoupe owners who comply will add 25 to 50% the their investment. If ADS B IN equipment is also added, a measure of safety results since the position of other aircraft can be displayed in the cockpit. A recent change in the FAA mandate allows owners of LSAs and Experimentlsls to use non TSO equipment which should lower the cost (because electronics manufactures will offer cheaper equipment and at least in the case of experimental aircraft, owners could possiblly do the installations themselves (I think). Now my Ercoupe is an LSA but is certified (not an experimental). So my questions:

Do you think I can add non TSO equipment to my certified aircraft and still meet the mandate requirements?
Would it make any sense to consider reregistering the plane as experimental? That would be an irreversible decision.

What do you think? What are you planning to do?

Best
Ted Gordon

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds