Breadcrumbs

Fuel in the header decreasing with fuel in mains

More
10 Oct 2019 16:27 #1 by Chris Howard
Replied by Chris Howard on topic Fuel in the header decreasing with fuel in mains
Well that's at least somewhere to start looking. Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Ben Hacker
10 Oct 2019 16:05 #2 by Ben Hacker
Replied by Ben Hacker on topic Fuel in the header decreasing with fuel in mains
I had the same problem and we found a loose fitting that connects the fuel line to the input side of the fuel pump. It was sucking some air along with the fuel. After tightening the fitting another turn everything is fine again. I believe that a leaking fuel cover gasket or a failing fuel pump could also be the problem. Again, I'm NOT an expert.......or mechanic.

More
10 Oct 2019 12:04 #3 by Chris Howard
Replied by Chris Howard on topic Fuel in the header decreasing with fuel in mains
I have a question to follow up this conversation if anyone knows the answer. I have noticed fluctuations in my header tank this year where it is going up and down but, not consistently. In years past, I cannot recall it moving at all when fuel is in the mains yet. Is this the sign of a failing fuel pump or should I start by checking the fuel pump cover like the issue below?

• Ben Hacker
16 Dec 2016 10:45 #4 by Ben Hacker
Replied by Ben Hacker on topic Fuel in the header decreasing with fuel in mains
Way to go Steve! ...........and thanks for letting us know what it was. :)

More
16 Dec 2016 09:15 #5 by Stephen Freeman
Replied by Stephen Freeman on topic Fuel in the header decreasing with fuel in mains
I am happy to report that the problem is solved thanks to Marvin Dunlap, EOC Tech Support Guru. Before I finished explaining the problem Marvin had the answer. I had an air leak in the fuel pump cover that we take off at each annual. A new cork gasket and fiber washer did the trick.

More
07 Dec 2016 20:01 #6 by Stephen Freeman
Replied by Stephen Freeman on topic Fuel in the header decreasing with fuel in mains
Thank you Ben for the ideas. I am working on the airplane now and will be ready to experiment with the fuel system this weekend. The wing tanks are dry and the header tank will be down to the indicator at the bottom of the gage. I will put three gallons in each wing tank and see if it transfers to the header. That should determine if the pump is working with the wing tanks low. I have disconnected the fuel lines in the fuseloge and blown them out, all seem clear.

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds