Breadcrumbs

Digital cockpit

• Arlan Allen
11 Jul 2019 15:52 #1 by Arlan Allen
Replied by Arlan Allen on topic Digital cockpit
Remember for a full digital cockpit there are redundancy requirements for aircraft. With most cases you must keep one analog airspeed indicator and one analog altimeter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2019 12:00 #2 by William James
Replied by William James on topic Digital cockpit
not sure what your question is but . . . . I turned my LSA Ercoupe into instrument flight legal . . .
First thing I did was install a 28 volt system . Very cheap . . . now there are an incredible array of used AND NEW inexpensive instruments available. Check GRA instruments , even low cost auto pilot . . .call if I can help

Bill James
330 495 6041
Canton Ohio

More
12 Apr 2019 15:54 #3 by Super User
Replied by Super User on topic Digital cockpit
If your airplane is VFR ONLY, then you can put any darn thing your A&P/IA will allow. (You get to convince him that it's OK - shouldn't be hard). If, however, you do want the plane IFR certified, you will have to go the formal, approved route for (as an example) using a pair of G5's. THe regs are written in a way that pre-Part 23 planes are NOT excluded when it comes to that type of thing. The regulatory overhaul added language about that.

josef

• Chris Carlisle
  • Topic Author
12 Apr 2019 15:47 #4 by Chris Carlisle
Replied by Chris Carlisle on topic Digital cockpit
Thanks to all for suggestions. I'm esp interested in Larry's comment about how our pre-Part 23 planes are not subject to those rules. Heck, CAR 3 which preceded Part 23 didn't even go into effect until 1949 and almost all of us have planes that were built before that. Who is Lynn Nelsen Larry?

You see, the deal here is that my son will have his airframe cert in May after his 1st year of A&P school and could install a G5 legally (for free of course unless you count the prior 19 years of room and board and now, also helping him finance his education). However, they have pounded the regs into these kids and he wants written proof that he's not violating any regs by putting an experimental/LSA part in my plane. I have searched the internet exhaustively and can't really find the topic even addressed and when I talk with the local avionics shop they just shrug their shoulders and grin which I interpret to mean that no one cares or ever checks.

Chris

More
12 Apr 2019 09:34 #5 by John Jones
Replied by John Jones on topic Digital cockpit
I'm seriously considering the GRT Mini GA tinyurl.com/yxukj6sa . That one is considered a "portable" so no worries with STC or field approvals. It has nice capabilities too, I would go with the magnetometer to replace the vacuum DG as well as the vacuum pump for a net saving in weight and better capabilities.

More
11 Apr 2019 19:41 #6 by Gordie Meade
Replied by Gordie Meade on topic Digital cockpit
I have 2 Garmin G5s in my M10. I was flying alone, glanced at the vacuum gauge and it went to zero. The horizon rolled about 60 degrees and, since it was a bright sunshiney Florida day, I just flew on looking out the windows.

I had nightmares about being at night or caught in IMC and having the pump go out so I fixed the problem. MY C90 has no vacuum pump and I never looked back. Since then, I have added a fuel flow meter, CHT/EGT gauge, and am working on a digital tach.

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds