Breadcrumbs

How well do you know your Coupe ?

More
26 Apr 2019 21:48 #1 by Matt Gunsch
How well do you know your Coupe ? was created by Matt Gunsch
We all think we know our planes fairly well, I mean we spend hours cleaning, tinkering and flying them, but do you really ? I'll use my plane as an example, it was built as a 415G, but it was rebuilt after a collision with a cow in 1960. When they rebuilt it, they Incorporated almost every Forney modification kit that was out at that time, they also changed the engine to a C-90. Then later in life the main gear seals were changed by STC, as was the air filter, and oil filter and even later the engine push rod tubes were changed by a STC. Why do I bring this up ? TIME, how many times have you ordered a car part only to find out it was wrong ? well it is worse with the Ercoupe, You need to know what every change was done to your plane and make notes about those changes in your service and parts manuals. I found out the hard way there was a mod done to mine that was not listed in the logbooks, someone installed a nose gear bearing and push rod that was a later Forney mod and was standard on the M-10, it uses a much larger rod end bearing and attaching bolt. I was able to get the correct parts the first time because I noticed something was different and then spent the time going thru old parts manuals and kit instructions until I found out what had been done, the correct parts were ordered and the manuals updated to reflect my plane in its modified condition.

Check out the Ercoupe Discussion Group on facebook

A&P, IA, PPSEL
too many years GA and Warbird Maint
Check out the Ercoupe Discussion group on facebook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds