Breadcrumbs

Here we go! Time to rebuild the engine....

More
17 Dec 2019 11:17 #1 by George Sellers
Replied by George Sellers on topic Here we go! Time to rebuild the engine....
Don’s Dream Machines is a great facility to deal with.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Dec 2019 08:03 #2 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Here we go! Time to rebuild the engine....
First off, don’t start tearing into your engine based on one oil analysis! Several things can cause a spike in metals, including how you collect the sample.

Are there other symptoms? What is your oil pressure? Oil consumption? Compressions?

Rebuilds are getting so expensive now it’s like buying your airplane over again every few years. Just buying g the cylinder kits starts you near $5000.

I suspect I’ll be looking for a used engine when my time comes.

More
17 Dec 2019 07:29 #3 by Super User
Here we go! Time to rebuild the engine.... was created by Super User
Well, my Aircoupe’s engine is in need to a rebuild.

The story behind the failure is I bought it 5 years ago. At that time it was 24 years since a major. No significant engine work since then. I flew it about 65 hours a year, but in the preceeding 24, it had only had 900 - with many of those years at 10 or less hours per year. Regardless, it flew well until this year when things got wonky and the last oil sample was off-the-charts in terms of metal.

It’s a part of life as an owner, so no frustration/anger/disappointment, just needing some input from the collective wisdom of the group:

Any suggestions recommendations on where I might send it?

Or, should I rebuild it with my local A&P/IA?

Can anyone provide cost data and general time frame on their rebuilds or overhauls? (for budgetary purposes)

Advice?

josef

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds