Breadcrumbs

trim speed

More
28 Aug 2020 11:57 #1 by Ronald Raty
Replied by Ronald Raty on topic trim speed
Thanks for the advice. My instructor that endorsed my solo isn't very familiar with Ercoupes, but he did say to keep some power until I level off over the runway, and watch the approach airspeed. It will sink out from under me if I get too slow. I've only landed it a few times, but every one has been really smooth, with those hanging gear that reach down to the runway. (Well, not the first landing, it was more of the flare/stall/plop type of landing).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Aug 2020 04:51 - 28 Aug 2020 04:55 #2 by Michael Hainen
Replied by Michael Hainen on topic trim speed
Welcome to Coupe flying, did my dual in a ercoupe back in July with a wise old military AP/IA, CFI in central Illinois. Don't try to flare and fly the coupe like a cub, champ, cessna, with a slow flare to landing was his advise to me. Set trim to the landing trim and fly the pattern at 80mph, once on final, carb heat on, fly it in flat at 75-80 and just look to the end of the runway and come in fast and flat. Look on YouTube, there is a video of a guy trying to flare a yellow ercoupe like a conventional airplane. All of a sudden it stops flying and drops and peels the nose gear off the airplane. Keep it moving, once the wheels touch it will slow right down and then drive it like grandpa's old Kaiser/Frazier or Willy's jeep. They don't balloon even on fast landings, the wing is set at zero incidence and they stay stuck to the ground.
Just my humble opinion, standing by for the barrage of Coupe-experts to chime in. Happy landings and short rollouts.
Rustypilot
Last edit: 28 Aug 2020 04:55 by Michael Hainen. Reason: additional correction

More
27 Aug 2020 18:39 #3 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic trim speed
I don’t use trim except to establish level flight in cruise. The controls are so light it’s more work to set the trim than just hold the yoke where it needs to be. I used trim religiously in the Cessna 150 but it’s a completely different animal what with them flap things.

More
27 Aug 2020 17:40 #4 by Ronald Raty
trim speed was created by Ronald Raty
I'm a student pilot, and just started flying my 415C. So far, all my training has been in a C-150. So I am flying solo, and am testing out the landing trim, and it doesn't seem to want to trim to a speed less than 80 mph. Is this typical or is my ASI out of whack? The trim tab is down as far as it will go. It is the larger trim tab, continuous elevator.

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds