Breadcrumbs

Upcoming trip from Texas to Southern California areas to visit

• Ken Finley
  • Topic Author
17 Oct 2020 18:53 #1 by Ken Finley
Thanks Bruce! I was planning similarly. We probably will visit Carlsbad Caverns then head west to Deming. Looks like we are not going to have the time we wanted to head up to Santa Fe but we have not ruled it out entirely. The weather looks cooler so that will definitely help. We will be experimenting along the way with how high we can climb. Your feedback was helpful; thanks again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2020 18:46 #2 by Bruce Bennett
An Ercoupe Convention was held in Las Cruces, New Mexico (near El Paso Tx)
in Oct 2018. Willian E Dubois was in charge. He had maps showing recommended routes to avoid mountains and restricted areas. I flew the southern route via Lubbock, Pecos, El Paso and returned going north via a long valley to Albuquerque then east. My 415C with 75 hp and a climb prop did just fine climbing to 10,000' but I stayed in valleys and didn't try crossing mountains. Some flew in from the west just fine. I recommend staying south and away from the high stuff.

• Ken Finley
  • Topic Author
16 Oct 2020 16:02 #3 by Ken Finley
I am relocating my plane from Dallas area to Southern California and would like to know if anyone has flown into Taos, NM or Santa Fe, NM in an Aircoupe or Ercoupe. Planning on stopping in Lubbock to visit Texas Tech University, then down to Carlsbad, NM to go to the caverns. Was thinking of heading back up North to Taos or going more south and then up to Albuquerque and Santa Fe before heading west. Not sure how the Aircoupe handles higher altitudes and if it can make it over some of those hills along the way. If anyone has any experience with these airports or have any suggestions on places to visit along the way to Southern California please let me know. Thanks. Ken

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds