Breadcrumbs

Alon A-2 Flight Manual

• Ken Finley
  • Topic Author
07 Dec 2020 16:47 #1 by Ken Finley
Replied by Ken Finley on topic Alon A-2 Flight Manual
John: Got it. Thanks for the direction. The Univair person I spoke with did not mention that there are 2 different Flight Manuals. That would have helped; regardless, I did see the 2 that you mentioned and I read the TCDS info. And the 100 mph canopy note is placard on the panel on the far right side just under the glare shield and above the check list. There is a GPS bracket that covers it so it was hidden but I found it after you mentioning that it was there. Thanks for letting me know! Again, I really appreciate the quick response. Ken

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Dec 2020 14:10 - 07 Dec 2020 17:08 #2 by John Jones
Replied by John Jones on topic Flying an Alon with the canopy open
Univair has two "flight manuals" for the Alons, LWM the reprint of the original owner's manual and LFM flight manual reprint of what Alon produced for the Great Britain market. The LFM has performance information in it that the domestic owner's manual did not. The repirint of the owner's manual, LWM, seems to be the same as a PDF copy I have of the A-2 manual produced by Mooney.

The 100 MPH speed limitation is in Note 2 B of the TCDS, available on the Univair site (page 10 of 11). That is supposed to be placarded in the cockpit.
Last edit: 07 Dec 2020 17:08 by John Jones.

• Ken Finley
  • Topic Author
07 Dec 2020 12:23 #3 by Ken Finley
Replied by Ken Finley on topic Flying an Alon with the canopy open
I do not have a POH but I do have a Alon A-2 Flight Manual. The manual states that the FAA did not require Alon to develop a Flight Manual for this aircraft. The manual I have has all the perfromance and operating iinformation about the plane including weight and balance numbers. However, I cannot find anywhere in here where it has any info on flying with the canopy open. I contacted Univair and they told me the Flight Manual that I have is the only one they know about. If anyone knows of another POH or Flight Manual for the Alon A-2. Mine is a 1966 model without rudder pedals. Thanks.

• Ken Finley
  • Topic Author
05 Dec 2020 16:13 #4 by Ken Finley
Replied by Ken Finley on topic Flying an Alon with the canopy open
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I did try releasing the latches but leaving them connected. Brings in a lot of extra air! Best, Ken

More
05 Dec 2020 10:44 #5 by John Jones
Replied by John Jones on topic Flying an Alon with the canopy open
The TCDS states do not open above 100 MPH. The question is does that mean the act of opening the canopy or the canopy being in an opened condition (i.e. open it while below 100, fly with it opened above 100?) I would go with do not fly with it opened above 100 since it's only held on at three points.

I've found that if you just release the two latches at the back and keep it closed the air flow through the cockpit is greatly improved. It is possible to close it in flight but getting the latches fastened is a bit of a challenge.

More
04 Dec 2020 21:57 #6 by Matt Gunsch
Replied by Matt Gunsch on topic Flying an Alon with the canopy open
It is in your POH, There is a airspeed limit on flying with the canopy open.

A&P, IA, PPSEL
too many years GA and Warbird Maint
Check out the Ercoupe Discussion group on facebook

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds