Breadcrumbs

Autopilot

More
05 Feb 2022 21:47 #13 by Kerry Carpenter
Replied by Kerry Carpenter on topic Autopilot
John,
Thanks for supporting my request.  I am posting the link (below) for you and anyone else to use in requesting that the GFC500 Autopilot be certified for the Ercoupe . . .In the third paragraph of this article, there is a link “fill out this form”. A Behind-the-scenes Look at Garmin Autopilot Certifications | Garmin Blog I ask that anyone who submits a request to Garmin please post that they did on this site or let me know at my personal email address, so I can get an idea of approximately how many requests have been made when I talk to Garmin.

Thank you again for responding!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2022 21:03 #14 by John Jones
Replied by John Jones on topic Autopilot
I will put in a request also. It appears I might have had success working with them to get the 'coupes on TCDS A-787 added to the AML as of 12-29-21. That process took quite some time and included obtaining pictures of the various models with tape measures showing the dimensions as well as confirmation from Univair that the same instrument panel was on both TCDS A-718 (C and CDs) and A-787 (all the rest). It was only about 2 1/2 year after the C and CDs were initially included.

More
05 Feb 2022 14:44 #15 by Kerry Carpenter
Replied by Kerry Carpenter on topic Autopilot
Hi All, Unfortunately, I will be unable to participate in the Zoom Meeting this month as I will be traveling at that time.  I have missed several meetings for similar reasons, so I thought I’d pose the question I have through email.  I hope that is okay. I have a 1946 Ercoupe 415D (Serial No. 1707).  I purchased N415PT from Todd Halver and I’m in the process of upgrading the panel.  I just sold my glass panel Cherokee Six and I want to bring some of that experience to my Ercoupe.  Incidentally, I also owned a 1946 415C (Serial No. 489) back in the late 1970’s.  My first question for the group is if anyone has attempted, or succeeded, at installing an autopilot of any kind in a 415 C or D? My second, and more important, question is whether you all would be willing to join my (several) requests to Garmin to certify the GFC500 autopilot for the Ercoupe?  All you’d need is to also install either a G5 or a GI275 in order to operate a GFC500 autopilot (This can be verified through several YouTube videos).  I realize it may be more money than many, or most, Ercoupe owners want to put into their planes, but a show of interest from a large group of Ercoupe owners would go far in convincing Garmin to add us in to their certification que so we can all have the choice (at any time, soon or later – or never) to have an autopilot.  Support from an Owners club is something Garmin specifically said would help tip the scale.  Then, each owner would have an option that, apparently, has never existed before.  I have submitted my request three times, and offered to give them my Ercoupe for use in certification, but they are not taking a single requester seriously.  If enough Ercoupe owners/enthusiasts would put in a “show of interest” request for certification of the Garmin GFC500 autopilot, along with a request for certification from the Club, it very well could be enough to get us all the option.  No one putting in requests in support would definitely guarantee being ignored and never having the option. I am upgrading from a G5 to the GI275’s, so I will also have a very slightly used (and never abused) G5 for sale soon . . . along with the rest of my existing panel (I’ll be replacing everything).  It would be a good time for me to give them my plane for certification, if they would just do it.  Garmin has a growing list of certified planes and it appears they are intending to add pretty much all planes, but at this point, only the loudest “squeaky wheels” will make the list/que in the next decade.  Can this group “make some noise” in order that we all may have the choice? My contact info is below.  I hope to get blasted with supportive responses.  If anyone is interested, I will gladly forward a link to make a request for certification.  You need not even own an Ercoupe at this time.  The fact that you maintain membership in this Club is enough to show Garmin that you “might” own one in the future, and “might” purchase an autopilot.  Whether you plan to purchase an autopilot or not, making an individual request would go a long way toward making this option available for all of us.  My mechanic even put in a request and he doesn’t even own an Ercoupe, but he said he knew you absolutely must hit Garmin with as many requests as possible to even get their attention.  I see that there are around 260 email addresses in this list.  If we could get a couple hundred requests (shows of interest is all it is) to Garmin, we may just win the day!  A show of interest from the Club, as an organization, with a statement of how many members we have, would give the best chance possible and may actually make all the difference. I’m willing to give them my plane for as long as they need it to get us all the choice.  Thank you for considering helping in my quest! Kerry Kerry J. Carpenter701 Munich DriveBismarck, ND 58504-7042701-400-6000This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
20 Nov 2021 15:01 - 20 Nov 2021 15:49 #16 by Michael Hainen
Replied by Michael Hainen on topic Autopilot
Just spotted a Briton B-4 used autopilot on BARNSTORMERS in the AVIONICS section, $500. Don't know if it is adaptable to an Ercoupe. Time to do some research with your local avionics shop about the B-4.

If you are starting from scratch, maybe you can get an approval for this King system
www.barnstormers.com/listing_images.php?id=1700173
Last edit: 20 Nov 2021 15:49 by Michael Hainen. Reason: add info

More
10 Nov 2021 17:22 #17 by Gordie Meade
Replied by Gordie Meade on topic Autopilot
Friendly FSDO..... isn't that an oxymoron?

More
10 Nov 2021 09:51 #18 by John Jones
Replied by John Jones on topic Autopilot
I believe you are correct re. a Brittain autopilot. Unfortunately they are not currently available. I contacted Brittain a while back and they indicated they "might" go back into production but with the advances in technology and new systems I very much doubt it. I would love to get an autopilot in my Alon but there aren't any available for out 'coupes. It might be possible to do with a friendly FSDO via a 337.

Time to create page: 0.206 seconds