Breadcrumbs

Oil Drip from Air-box Drain - Normal?

• Brady Buttterfield
  • Topic Author
02 Sep 2021 16:46 #7 by Brady Buttterfield
Replied by Brady Buttterfield on topic Oil Drip from Air-box Drain - Normal?
Is the engine sucking oil into the intake manifold through the valve guides during my long taxi back to the hangar? I'm at sea level running rich all the time, and my engine is running at 35 psi oil pressure.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Brady Buttterfield
  • Topic Author
02 Sep 2021 16:35 #8 by Brady Buttterfield
Oil Drip from Air-box Drain - Normal? was created by Brady Buttterfield
I'm enjoying getting to know my 'coupe especially as I keep her clean now that I have her in a hangar.  After flying, I've noticed consistent oil drips onto my nose gear.  Looking inside the cowling, I'm seeing oil dripping from the air box drain, below the carb.  The oil seems to come from inside the airbox as it drips down the center of the lower cowl and onto the nose gear. 
Is this normal as the air filter is saturated with oil, is there some kind of an oiler that is designed to oil the filter element?  If I were to estimate how much oil is lost in this manner I would guess a few table spoons, maybe one ounce? 
I use a drip pan and am always mindful of oil leaks but there doesn't seem to be any additional oil leaking after those 5-10 minutes after shut down.   I'm running the engine with at least 3.0-3.5 quarts.  She seems to consume .3 Qts per hour.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds