Breadcrumbs

Continental C90-12F

• cubvarga
  • Topic Author
27 May 2016 08:03 #1 by cubvarga
Replied by cubvarga on topic Continental C90-12F
Larry thanks for info on C90-12F. I also have an ESS 1988 banjo. Its on Banjo Hangout for sale. My other 3 Prewar Gibson TB-1 conversions are 1929 flying eagle with a flat head.1935 Wreath flat head. 1932 Hearts and flowers flat head. 1929 Gibson arch top is all original with a 1927 no hols tone ring, That one sounds like Don Reno's RB. So the Erco factory never made any sea planes? TKS....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2016 19:18 #2 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Continental C90-12F
Any 415C with a C90 at ERCO was experimental and won't help at all. That plane sounds like a paperwork nightmare. You are limited to what the type certificate says and it says C75 or C85. The only way to have another engine is with an STC, which does not exist for the 415C, or with a field approval, which is valid for that airplane only. The factory would not have done either, just registered the plane as experimental. Besides, I think there was only one Ercoupe on floats and it crashed.

• cubvarga
  • Topic Author
26 May 2016 18:42 #3 by cubvarga
I've been in contact with a gentleman on Barnstormer selling an Ercoupe 415C LSA with a C-90 installed. I asked if the C90 was installed with a 337 or a STC. He replied that the 415C coupe may have been built at the factory as a sea plane using a C90. Than the 415C was never used as a sea plane so the C90 was kept in the 415C as a land plane. Were there C90's installed in 415C's to be used as sea planes? If there were, there may be an STC for installing the C90? WOW! TKS....

More
26 May 2016 08:16 #4 by Larry Snyder
There are plenty of STCs and 337s for D model Ercoupes. I know there are some C models flying around with O200s, and it seems to me an approved 337 for an O200 would qualify as existing data for getting one approved for the C90. But that might be assuming the FSDO person really understands how it all works. Some FSDOs now have a blanket "no field approvals" rule, while some are still amenable to the idea. It's like getting IRS audit - the rules aren't nearly as important as the person doing the auditing!

• cubvarga
  • Topic Author
26 May 2016 08:11 #5 by cubvarga
I found a STC by Paul Babcock SA00270B0. The only problem it's for a Piper J-3 Cub. If I could reword it for a field approval 337 that would be OK. The other one STC SA465WE is for a 415D Ercoupe. Not sure if I could change that one to a 415C.TKS.....

More
25 May 2016 19:39 #6 by Larry Snyder
I'll dig through what I have to see if I can find something. You could also talk to your IA and see what he thinks about the chances for a field approval.

My 5-string one of the early Scruggs Standards. It's a funky color (baby poop yellow) and has the small peg head. I've been playing it since 1994 and I'm content with it. Which tone ring do you have? Archtop, ball bearing, flat head?

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds