Breadcrumbs

Alternator Replacement

More
31 Aug 2024 19:25 #1 by Raymond Knox
Replied by Raymond Knox on topic Alternator Replacement
I have put capacitors in various locations in the past. To eliminate noise. I would place one on your power outlet you are using to power your 660 first.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2024 23:27 #2 by Edward Moore
Replied by Edward Moore on topic Alternator Replacement
Larry:
Feedback? "Rest of the story" Paul Harvey a pilot - great guy!!

More
10 Aug 2024 20:25 #3 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Alternator Replacement
I figured that one out. I got the “filter” today. I must admit it’s a lot heavier than the automotive capacitors. I hope to get it installed this week. Took a long trip today. I had put a trickle charger on the battery beforehand and the battery was fully charged. Whine on the entire trip was negligible.

More
10 Aug 2024 13:19 #4 by Edward Moore
Replied by Edward Moore on topic Alternator Replacement
Not to belabor but - check my 2nd paragraph - "hang" should have been "hung" (history/experience) not to imply you should hang but the big capacitor rational is talked about in an article at "avweb.com" article titled "Licking Alternator Whine".

More
09 Aug 2024 19:45 #5 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Alternator Replacement
Chief Aircraft has shipped it. Hope it does something for $100! I have a Garmin SL40 radio so it tied into the 660 easily. I'm getting ADS-B data from a GDL39 I picked up used. Some day I may get a GDL50, but there's no real reason to. So from my aera 660 I get audio into my intercom and data into my radio Pretty slick - pick a waypoint on the GPS and it preloads the frequencies into the radio. I started getting charging noise after letting my battery go dead by leaving the master on overnight. It charged the battery ok, and I have since replaced it. But the noise remains. Pitch varies by engine speed and volume varies by the charge state of the battery. The filter is easy to put on. I'll report back after I check it out.

More
09 Aug 2024 18:05 #6 by Brooks McNew
Replied by Brooks McNew on topic Alternator Replacement
I hope the noise filter works!

I have a similar setup; Aera 660 in at AirGizmos dock, but mine is not tied to an intercom. My radio was installed with a single set of headset plugs so I use a portable intercom. I don't get noise from my Aera 660 but in this case it's connected to my headset via bluetooth. Also, I still have a generator.

Let us know how it works out because someday I'll be upgrading to a newer radio with a built-in intercom, and eventually a lightweight starter/alternator/battery setup. Avoiding pitfalls before I fall into them!

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds